Lead supply pipe

Options
Hi
We are about to have our drive done and want to replace the lead water supply pipe (Welsh Water area). Our stopcock is under the stairs in the centre of our house so I was wondering
1-How would we get the pipe from under the ground outside our house to the stopcock without having to dig up the hall floor?
2-What kind of tradesperson would we need to contact to do this?
3-How can we do the job cheaply?
Thanks

Comments

• Cornishpixie_2
    Options
    We have a lead pipe it keeps leaking then end up with temp repair job etc. We need to replace but not in position to do that.You should have at least another stopcock outside somewhere, mine is in our driveway, at the back of our Terrace. We also have one on the Lane next to hydrant. A local plumber would know. Not sure about your situation but to replace ours would involve digging up our terrace(all 120ft), with a small JCB. Good Luck
    Grocery challenge june £300/ £211-50.
    Grocery challenge july £300/£134-85.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You do not have to follow the line of the existing supply pipe.

As long as you start where the existing stop valve is on your boundary, you can take it any route you wish and bring it into the house to join to your pipework where it suits you.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • adaze
    adaze Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Contact youe water board, they might be able to help, or even do the work....
  • Penny_Farthing_2
    Options
    Thanks All,
    Aribe, I was wondering about this. I suppose I'd need a plumber to look at it. It seems it will be an expensive job and we may have to keep running the tap and then filtering drinking and cooking water with a Brita jug.
  • fragola
    fragola Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if all water companies are the same, but I'm with Yorkshire Water, and here is what I'm having to do:

First I had to contact Yorkshire Water who sent out a surveyor (for free) to look at the supply. I then had to fill out a form saying that I wanted to replace the supply pipe (at the same time, the water company will replace their section of the pipe).

Then another surveyor from an affiliated company came around to quote for the actual work. I think it's about £360 including VAT for us, although it varies depending on the length of the supply pipe and how it enters the house. The surveyor told me if I was to get an independent plumber/builder to do the work, it would probably cost about £200.

So, I can choose who I get to do the work. Once the pipes are laid, Yorkshire Water will do their bit, then switch over the supply.

I'm sure Welsh Water will advise you if you give them a call.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure