Phone number for your pc - FREE incoming calls!

Comments

• digp
    digp Posts: 2,013 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    how do you get the 01 #?
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Lots of links to other threads regarding VOIP can be found in this thread
  • http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/74542/voice-over-ip.html
    is a useful description of Voice over IP and also compares the
    different services including Skype and Sipgate.
  • Phonix
    Phonix Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/745...ce-over-ip.html
    is a useful description of Voice over IP and also compares the
    different services including Skype and Sipgate.

That's a nice summary.

though it's a shame they haven't even mentioned voipbuster but does mention 18866, who must make sipgate and skype shake in their boots.

Does anyone know how much it costs viopbuster when you make a free VoIP call to a PSTN?
    The best conventional international deal is provided by Pipemedia. Its PipeCall service incurs both an installation fee and a monthly charge of £2.99, but once paid the European, American and Australian call costs are unbeatable. At less than 1p a minute for some European numbers, and with a dedicated incoming number thrown in, it really is a no-brainer for heavy users.

Clearly the article was written before VoIPbuster et al came onto the scene.
  • Orea_Pink
    Orea_Pink Posts: 12 Forumite
    For SIP to work do you need to havea router and a phone or can you just receive calls using a headset plugged into your PC?

Secondly, does that mean someone could use their free mobile minutes calling a SIP landline number?

Finally, do you know if you can get an Irish country number this way so my relatives could call me for the price of a local call?
  • Orea_Pink wrote:
    For SIP to work do you need to havea router and a phone or can you just receive calls using a headset plugged into your PC?

With sipgate you can use the xlite software and use the headset through your PC.

Orea_Pink wrote:
    Secondly, does that mean someone could use their free mobile minutes calling a SIP landline number?

Yes you can. I phone my mrs at home on the sipgate number and it just regards as a "normal" telephone number
    Orea_Pink wrote:
    Finally, do you know if you can get an Irish country number this way so my relatives could call me for the price of a local call

I think they have all UK dialing codes & NI is included, but don't think Eire are included yet :) have a look on their website and it shows you all the dialing codes you can get :)
    Payneardo :)
  • Matt`_5
    Matt`_5 Posts: 812 Forumite
    Phonix wrote:
    Lastly to set this up properly, just add voipbuster as another proxy in the xten configeration menu.

the settings are

proxy: sip.voipbuster.com
    Outgoing proxy : fwdnat.pulver.com:5082

and select this as default proxy when you wish to make out going calls.

Can you explain more detail here please? Im on the SIP Proxy where there is default and proxy 1, but i cant get it to work
  • nursemolly
    nursemolly Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    how can you tell if someone is calling you???? does the computer make a ringing sound??
    sorry if it sounds daft.

also does it work on a wireless connection???
  • joepubli
    joepubli Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Post
    Phonix wrote:
    I'd advise you to use either Voipbuster to make outgoing calls and SIPgate to recieve them. This is because it's free to ring most landlines using VoIPbuster whereas if you ring these numbers using SIpgate there is a penny/minute charge.

If you're really serious about it, it may be worth investing in aLastly to set this up properly, just add voipbuster as another proxy in the xten configeration menu.

the settings are

proxy: sip.voipbuster.com
    Outgoing proxy : fwdnat.pulver.com:5082

and select this as default proxy when you wish to make out going calls.

Hi
    Any chance of full instructiojs on how toi do this. I set up this - how do i select this as a defauklt proxy? I am typing #1 to choose and then the number but doesn't work.

thanks
    joe
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    I surprised there are people stating thanks for the find, and that the 1st post of this thread was only a few days ago, when we have been chatting about Sipgate and VoIP Buster etc for months!

https://www.bextech.co.uk/voip - needs updating as it is several months old.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure