Sticking worktop edging strip tips

Options
Hi

I need to stick some laminate worktop edging on tomorrow and wondered if anyone had some tips?

So far from searching on the internet I have:
- Flatten out the edging strip that currently is in a tight roll
- Stick glue to end of worktop and edging and leave till tacky before sticking
- Use a decent grab adesive - I am using Evostick

Comments

• in2deep_2
    in2deep_2 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What sort of evo stick... contact adhesive(evo stick) would be better IMHO, you apply a coating to EACH surface and wait for it to go tacky then stick it on..BUT with contact adhesive you only get ONE chance....get it right.

Or go for a nice metal trim and screw it on.
    'Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship'. -Benjamin Franklin.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    in2deep wrote: »

Or go for a nice metal trim and screw it on.

I agree, they are not expensive and will give a more professional finish, anyway I would think that you will only need 4/6, you can get them in different colours, you can also get join plates, which are good as they help stop the wee crumbs getting into the join. You will be able to get them at your local DIY, or B&Q, etc.

96125530b.pngend 96125521b.pngend 96125549b.pngjoin

As you can see a nice rounded edge, so just measure, cut and screw on, screws are supplied.

What I would do also is, seal the end of your worktop with silicone sealant first, it helps to stop water getting in and warping later.

So, for the sake of £10/15, a :j job, instead of just :undecided .

If you're gonna do it, do it right, you know it makes sense. :rotfl:
  • FBThree
    FBThree Posts: 346 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I need to stick some laminate worktop edging on tomorrow and wondered if anyone had some tips?

So far from searching on the internet I have:
    - Flatten out the edging strip that currently is in a tight roll
    - Stick glue to end of worktop and edging and leave till tacky before sticking
    - Use a decent grab adesive - I am using Evostick

The edging strip I was provided with when I got the kitchen was one which you flatten out, then iron on with a warm (not hot) iron. So it probably depends on whether you have that type or not. My kitchen installer just shaped it at appropriate bits with his stanley knife.

(personally I hated the metal strips we had in the old kitchen and you should have seen the unhygienic gunk that got stuck under them.....:p )
  • ukwoody
    ukwoody Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    Grrrr, just typed this up and then lost it! Hummppphh! So, once again.

Metal strips should always idealy be used either side of a free standing cooker.

Apart from that I always fit the proper supplied trima ss it looks better and as said avoids the accumulation of gunk.
    Now this is one area where every tradesman insits his way is best;) . The way I do it is to apply the contact adhesive to both surfaces (read the instructions for your brand) leave for 5 mins then apply. I start at the wall end leaving about 1- 2mm above the top of the worktop and gently smooth the strip along until it reaches the front edge. I then either cut it off or snap it off a few mm in front. Leave for an hour for glue to set, then I take a smoothish flat metal file (not a rough wood type Rasp) and file the top edge away. Only takes seconds to do the length.
    Others use stanley blades (use GOOD quality branded ones only for this), a plane, a proper electric laminate trimmer, or sharpend scraper. It depends on what they feel happy with and how they were taught. But of course my way is still the best:p.

Woody
    City & Guilds qualified Wood Butcher:D
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your help, stuck them today and all went on fine. Hardest thing was straightening the edging out. I cut them roughly to get an approximate shape and will fille off the edges later

The 1x metal ones cost the same as a whole 3m of edging strip - if you can do it well, I think the edging strips look nicer
  • christhesparky_2
    Options
    ukwoody wrote: »
    Grrrr, just typed this up and then lost it! Hummppphh! So, once again.

Metal strips should always idealy be used either side of a free standing cooker.

Apart from that I always fit the proper supplied trima ss it looks better and as said avoids the accumulation of gunk.
    Now this is one area where every tradesman insits his way is best;) . The way I do it is to apply the contact adhesive to both surfaces (read the instructions for your brand) leave for 5 mins then apply. I start at the wall end leaving about 1- 2mm above the top of the worktop and gently smooth the strip along until it reaches the front edge. I then either cut it off or snap it off a few mm in front. Leave for an hour for glue to set, then I take a smoothish flat metal file (not a rough wood type Rasp) and file the top edge away. Only takes seconds to do the length.
    Others use stanley blades (use GOOD quality branded ones only for this), a plane, a proper electric laminate trimmer, or sharpend scraper. It depends on what they feel happy with and how they were taught. But of course my way is still the best:p.

Woody

Completely agree with woody re using a file to do it, use a fine file and you should get a proffessional looking job:D
    Last Cigarette 24/6/09
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

The 1x metal ones cost the same as a whole 3m of edging strip - if you can do it well, I think the edging strips look nicer

Good point, look as though I was outvoted, I use the strips 'cos seems easier, measure, cut screw, will have a go with trim next time, and if I make a mess of it, can cover it up with a strip. :rotfl:

Job done for you, so sit back and admire.:beer:
  • Blake_Ed
    Blake_Ed Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Peeps

I have had to fit my own worktop as the shapes & sizes where all over the place (tiles on a base) now - BIG problem! I want to be able to put an edging on (prefably white x 25mm) to cover the base/tile edge and can I find any? NO!! Does anyone have any ideas where I can find this please

I did see (on an old kitchen) a white rounded on both edges glossy plastic edge which was originally cut & stuck on which would be great buy, from where

Or does anyone sell very thin (got a few round bits to go round) polished chrome or stainless in 25mm widths ?

Grateful for any ideas - thanks for reading
    (PS live in Essex)
  • Bungarm2001
    Options
    If you have a double glazing firm nearby, one that makes the frames on site, you could go and ask them if they have any window UPVC trim in the dimensions you need.

They usually have all sorts of widths for trimming up double glazed window frames inside the house after the windows are fitted, and they would in all probability sell you some at a decent price. We used window trim years ago when we had a tiled worktop and couldn't find anything to finish the edges off and it not only looked good, it lasted for years and easy to clean. We stuck it on with silicon or no nails...can't remember which.
  • Blake_Ed
    Blake_Ed Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Very sorry for my app. tardiness - PC problems - just wanted to say many thanks - I found a window place - got 25m for £10 and - its great!!!

Also found if I "played" a hairdryer on it for a few mins, it bends great on & around the breakfast bar and angles

Many thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport