We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Garden huckleberry

Options
meanmarie
meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi folks,

We invested in some garden huckleberry seeds in January, sowed some in February in a pot in the greenhouse and they have now just raised their heads over the compost. Has anyone ever grown these or know anything about them? The packet picture shows black berries, bit larger than elderberries, would just like to have an opinion on their use and value as I am trying to get as much soft fruit out of the garden as I possibly can this year. Haven't googled them yet, waiting to see if anyone here knows anything.

TIA

Marie
Weight 08 February 86kg

Comments

• Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm afraid that I've never heard of them, so I'd be really interested to know how they do (I suppose Huckleberry Finn and the line about Huckleberry friend from Moon River must be about them?)
  • Greenfingers3
    Options
    I have grown them, they are actually part of the deadly nightshade family although they are not poisonous. I grew them a few years ago and had a good crop. You are right the berries are black, but if you cook them they turn green. I did not think that they were that nice to eat, and I have decided not to bother with them again. But I hope they grow well for you.
  • katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Options
    I grew them a couple of years ago and got a good crop but didn't really do anything with them. They were really prolific and kept self-seeding everywhere till the floods killed everything on the plot. Don't know if I will try them again. I might!
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    We grew them a while back, OH made them into wine - it had the exact colour of meths! boy it was strong though!
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family