The Great “Best No-contract” Deals Hunt

Comments

• medic1978 wrote: »
    £10 for 1 GB not 1000GB!

Otherwise, reasonably good.
    No contract needed. Top up £10 when you need it.

Looked at this, this modem is/was £99 though which could almost make a 12 month contract more cost effective as I think the modem is free then
  • Bob63
    Bob63 Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    mobilez wrote: »
    AOL Broadband have an offer called "Broadband Wireless Flexi" with no contract (and discounted rental for the first 3 months, if you stay that long!
    It is only available in unbundled exchanges where AOL have their own equipment, so it is not available to everyone - especially those in smaller towns or villages.
  • lean&mean
    lean&mean Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    thamesmatt wrote: »
    Looked at this, this modem is/was £99 though which could almost make a 12 month contract more cost effective as I think the modem is free then

Nearly true, I think the contract is 18 months for the modem to be free, but as the previous post mentions, you might be able to use your phone as a modem. For example, I have an HTC Tytn unlocked originally from 02 which works fine with Three. I can connect it to my laptop with a cable or use bluetooth and use the Three Internet for £10 for a month's use. Quite a few of the existing Three phones can be used as modems. What's also good is that you can convert your existing PayAsYouGo credit into the Internet Use on the My3 webpage once you've registered. A Three store can probably tell you if your phone will work and if you'll get full 3g (HSDPA) speeds. Do be aware that Three also has an 'internet top-up' for a fiver I think, but that only works on your phone and you can't connect your laptop for email, chat etc.

If you can't be doing with all that techie stuff you should be able to get a Three modem for about £60-70 on an auction site.

If you're an existing Three subscriber, you can get a half price Internet contract, so the 1GB contract costs only a fiver, and the 3GB is only £7.50. But this doesn't apply to PayG customers (I discovered). This offer applied last week in my local Three store, but I don't think it's available online.

Hope this helps.
  • I would try out a mobile with 3G or even 3.5G access on a pay as you go with extras like the orange extras, pay £1 a day for unlimited internet all day of £5 for a week. You can bluetooth or hard wire it to your PC or even easier, a Mac, for internet. There are plenty of cheap second hand 3G bluetooth phones on ebay. Vyke can be used for 1p per text.
    It would be an interesting thing to try but I would setup some kind of beaming station using foil to reflect your mobile phone's radiation out of the window if you're using it heavily in this way.

Bests,
    Dan
  • Orange do a Pay as you Go deal where you get free stuff depending on how much you top up. Minimum £10 each month gives you:

£5 free orange mobile homepage access
    Free calls to orange mobiles from 7pm to midnight every night
    300 free texts

Top up £20 and you get 600 free texts. £30 top up gives you 1000 free texts.

The free stuff is added automatically each month - if you don't top up you dont get it. Simple as. If you mainly text and don't call much this may be cheaper than many contracts!!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
  • I've just bought the 3 PAYG broadband modem it's now £69.99
    Top rates are:
    £10 = 1GB download over 30 days
    £15 = 3GB download over 30 days
    £25 = 7GB download over 30 days
    *Remember viewing a website adds to your total downloads.
  • I've just bought the 3 PAYG broadband modem it's now £69.99
    Top-up rates are:
    £10 = 1GB download over 30 days
    £15 = 3GB download over 30 days
    £25 = 7GB download over 30 days
    *Remember viewing a website adds to your total downloads.
  • Didn't mean to post twice.
    Sorry.
  • Orange do a Pay as you Go deal where you get free stuff depending on how much you top up. Minimum £10 each month gives you:

£5 free orange mobile homepage access
    Free calls to orange mobiles from 7pm to midnight every night
    300 free texts

Top up £20 and you get 600 free texts. £30 top up gives you 1000 free texts.

The free stuff is added automatically each month - if you don't top up you dont get it. Simple as. If you mainly text and don't call much this may be cheaper than many contracts!!

I tried this, getting free evening (7pm-11:59pm) mobile internet for a month. It wasn't worth the hassle - the internet was overpriced even though it was free, with most sites timing out (but to show that it wasn't the link between my mobile and Orange's network, Orange's own portal site worked reasonably well). Not impressed, and of course it's a freebie so no 'fit for purpose' or such statutory rights to get your money back... They charge a minimum charge of one minute per call (15p), even if it's a five-second call. Which is annoying if you get someone's answerphone and don't want to leave a message. £10 works out at around 66 minutes therefore, when comparing with 300 that Virgin offer. I remember Orange being one of the first to "bill by the second". (TV adverts) What is distasteful is that this stated NOWHERE in the terms and conditions on sign-up, nor is it even in the small print buried on their website at the time of checking. Obviously even they themselves consider that fact worthy of hiding carefully from their customers. ALSO, they take up to 72 hours to apply the top-up rewards (again not stated in advance), which regardless of money transfer speeds is rather rude, IMHO. If you ring them up they can apply some temporary txts or something, but it's a hassle customers don't deserve. Virgin's £10 existing customer offer is going to get a look-in from me I think!
  • mobilez wrote: »
    Virgin
    Example plans:
    £15 per month (300 mins & 300 sms or 150 mins & 1000sms)
    £30 per month (750 mins & 750 sms)
    1 month contract
    http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/simCardOnly.do

check out http://www.e2save.com/virgin-mobile-phone/Pay-Monthly-SIM-Card/VMOBPMSIM for cashback deals on 6 month sim-only contracts. you can get either 200 minutes + 200 texts OR 100 minutes + 500 texts with 6 months free line rental (by cashback redemption.) if you have a spare phone this is a very cheap deal. e2save is a subsidiary of the carphone warehouse so don't be put off by having to claim cashback.

ps. dont forget quidco! (£7.50) http://www.quidco.com/e2save/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport