We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Trouble with debt collector/poor credit rating

A few months ago, Ebay made a mistake and thought i owed them a sum of 250 pounds, which they passed onto the debt collector. I since proved that the claim was false, and sent of this evidence to both the debt collection (Robinsone way) and to Ebay. I was then sent a letter from Robinson Way saying they are no longer dealing with my account, so i presumed the matter was sorted out.

However i recently applied for a studentbank account, and was denied it due to having a low credit rating. The company the bank uses is Experian.

What can i do to convince/prove to Experian that no debt was ever incurred on my behalf, and that the complaint should be removed from my name? Ill be going to Uni in a few weeks, so i really need to get this cleared up ASAP and to get a student bank account set up.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• The best way forward will be to obtain a copy of your credit file from experian http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/index.html and find out what negative entry’s are on your file.

Once you have this information, ( and if it transpires that it is an entry by Merccers ) you can challenge this directly with experian, if Mercers are unable to verify the data they may have submitted it will be removed within the statutory 28 days

If you need further details please feel free to ask
    :rolleyes: It’s hard enough remembering my opinions - without remembering my reasons for them :rolleyes:
  • Ok thanks, my credit report is now on its way

What do you mean by *mercers*
  • Sorry, my mistake !

I meant "Robinson way"
    :rolleyes: It’s hard enough remembering my opinions - without remembering my reasons for them :rolleyes:
  • Ah ok lol, thanks for the help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.2K Life & Family
  • 250.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.