We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Worm wee as foliar feed?

Options
elsien
elsien Posts: 32,863 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
My mum's wormery has gone into overdrive, and the worms are doggy paddling in the liquid fertiliser they are producing. She's run out of plants to water, and is wondering whether it could be used as a foliar feed on her daffs etc?
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.

Comments

• Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "The liquid waste will need to be diluted about one part in ten with water before adding it to your plants. The solid matter, known as 'vermicompost' can be spread directly onto your garden."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A13911752

From what this says it seems that it can be used on any plants although as it doesn't specify foliar feed i would probably water it into the soil around the plants that you want to feed.
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It stores for ages. I fill up empty bottles (like large milk bottles or juice bottles) and leave it outside, I keep mine under the wormery. You should really keep the tap open all the time with a watering can underneath to stop the worms drowning. HTH
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • lisap4123
    lisap4123 Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    Can I please ask a few things about worm farms / wormery (am thinking of getting one).....I do want to do my bit for the environment but have a v small garden (well it is a gravelled area with 1 border of plants) so a bit tight on space. I have been composting but my bin gets full and then I cant compost until it reduce down a bit. I only have space for one. What is the difference between a wormery and a composter - am I right in thinking it is mainly that the wormery will break down the waste in quick fast time compared to composter? Are the worms difficult to look after - ie will they die if I dont compost every day. Also will they escape ??!?!? (dont want to be overrun with hungry worms in my garden or worse - house?) What are other peoples experiences of wormeries please? I want to be sure before I buy one as they seem quite expensive. Thanks - all views and advice welcome
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lisap4123 wrote: »
    Can I please ask a few things about worm farms / wormery (am thinking of getting one).....I do want to do my bit for the environment but have a v small garden (well it is a gravelled area with 1 border of plants) so a bit tight on space. I have been composting but my bin gets full and then I cant compost until it reduce down a bit. I only have space for one. What is the difference between a wormery and a composter - am I right in thinking it is mainly that the wormery will break down the waste in quick fast time compared to composter? Are the worms difficult to look after - ie will they die if I dont compost every day. Also will they escape ??!?!? (dont want to be overrun with hungry worms in my garden or worse - house?) What are other peoples experiences of wormeries please? I want to be sure before I buy one as they seem quite expensive. Thanks - all views and advice welcome

Hi lisap, have a read of our worms and wormeries thread, there's lots of useful stuff in there. Also check the useful links sticky at the top of the board, there's external links posted about wormeries, wriggly wrigglers is a great site to look at and they are very helpful too :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure