PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Potatoes

Options
I need to use up some potatoes before I lose them. I have checked the poatato website but don't fancy anything on there, apart from making potato soup, what else can I do with them? Can I make mash and freeze it?

Help!

Comments

• tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Mash them, mix in some grated cheese, put into dishes, sprinkle more cheese on top then freeze. You can bung it in the oven from frozen, the cheese on top goes all crunchy YUM :D I eat mine with spagetti hoops
    Bulletproof
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    Troo! You're making me hungry :D
  • tru
    Options
    Sorry :rotfl: ...........
    Bulletproof
  • kscour
    kscour Posts: 665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Troo
    Pleeease tell me how long they take to cook from frozen. :drool:
    Pretty please!

You can freeze mash and reheat in microwave - I've never been over keen but then I'm not that keen on reheating in the microwave as a rule, I much prefer warming up on the hob or in the oven - so perhaps its just me being a bit odd

However crunchy, cheesey mash mmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!
  • tru
    Options
    Erm I'm not sure exactly :o I've got a fan oven, I have the temp at 140 degrees C and I can smell it when it's ready :D
    Bulletproof
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep! I froze several kilos a while back. That is - I cooked and mashed them and then froze them.

You can defrost them out on a counter, in the fridge, or in the microwave.

You'll find it looks watery and there'll even be loose water about. Don't get rid of it! It started off IN the mash.

I usually give the mash three minutes on medium, give it a good pounding with the masher thingy, pop it back in for a couple more minutes, and give it final whack with the masher. All the water will be gone.

You can add butter and salt at this stage.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    I need temps for a non fan oven. When i moved house it was like going back to the dark ages :D
  • kscour
    kscour Posts: 665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Troo

Actually judging by smell seems like a good idea - for the sake of my family I shall try it out (while timing if i remember!) and then of course in true waste not want not fashion I shall have to eat it all up. Gosh I hope I don't forget to set the timer and have to do it all again :D

Ohh no that was my tummy rumbling!
  • tru
    Options
    I need temps for a non fan oven. When i moved house it was like going back to the dark ages :D
    :rotfl:

I would do 160 degrees then. None of my recipe books have fan oven temps so I knock off 20 degrees, everything cooks ok :D
    Bulletproof
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    Trro, I've now got chips on the go....... drool......................... :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business