Money Moral Dilemma: Should you save a stranger money?

Comments

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    I had to laugh at this as I got several emails yesterday from people on another forum thanking me for saving them several hundred dollars each as we're all at the same event in the summer and I'd found an on-line deal that reduced the hotel from $200 a night down to $89 and posted the details.
    Money is a more sensetive issue-and I would go the "if the chance to start a general conversation presented itself" route and if I judged it would be well recieved after chatting might say something-certainly wouldn't throw it in as an opening comment though.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No,I wouldn't offer advice here,it's being nosy.
  • Mr_Rhubarb
    Mr_Rhubarb Posts: 14 Forumite
    Anyone so insensitive as to blather on the phone in public about such matters is wasting money on mobile calls and annoying everyone else and is best ignored
  • Mr_Rhubarb
    Mr_Rhubarb Posts: 14 Forumite
    Anyone so insensitive as to blather on the phone in public about such matters is wasting money on mobile calls and annoying everyone else and is best ignored and allowed to waste his money
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    In the circumstances described I (being typically British) would pretend I could not hear what he was saying - how else would we manage to live in semi-detatched and terraced houses without 'selective deafness' to supply privacy?

If it was possible later on to make general conversation, then steer it round to more appropriate topics, well that would be different! Whether he would be prepared to accept advice from a stranger is quite another matter.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • The banks need to make money somehow and I'd rather they fleeced people like that - people who talk loudly into their phone on the train - than moneysavers like us!

Also, the ability to not butt into other people's conversations is one of the few things that separates us from animals.
  • CheapSkate wrote: »
    The banks need to make money somehow and I'd rather they fleeced people like that - people who talk loudly into their phone on the train - than moneysavers like us!

People with this attitude are selfish.

CheapSkate wrote: »
    Also, the ability to not butt into other people's conversations is one of the few things that separates us from animals.

How could some people understand what animals say to each other and conclude they "butt into" other animals' conversations?!! It must be either they have an inferior human intelligence or a superior animal brain to make such an exceptional statement. I doubt the latter.
    Be nice, life is too short to be anything else.
  • new
    I would!! I have done it before! I do it by starting talking about weather and then randomly I would say it by apologising for hearing the financial bit and suggest the current best card and I will mention MSE.com and repeat it several times and mention Martin Lewis and his program and appearances on tv. I would ask him to visit the website and work his finances through the icons on the top of the homepage and they very likely to save 20-25% of their normal spending and I will tell him if I get one pence back from each pound I spend, then this will make payrise 1% more than what it should be!! I will say it is not about cutting back, it is about getting the same product, but cheaper. I will mention the forum as well. I will market the website by saying it is, not like other websites, unbiased whatsoever. I would suggest, if they seem they don't have time to check the whole thing out, to subscribe to the weekly email ( another way to get them hooked!!)

I know I am sad ( and a devotee of the new moneysaving religion! )

Thunderbird

:D heehee ...we are on a mission! too bad if the useful advice falls on deaf ears, but we can only try! MSE RULES OK!
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    People with this attitude are selfish.

So are people that talk loudly on the train. If someone is not seeking advice, then I don't believe it should be given.
  • A.Jones wrote: »
    So are people that talk loudly on the train. If someone is not seeking advice, then I don't believe it should be given.

I agree with you regarding those who speak loudly on the train are selfish.

At the same time, a lot of people, who don't ask for advice or help, they don't know such advice or help exists, what do you think?
    Be nice, life is too short to be anything else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure