Is the TV Licence fee worth it? Poll results/discussion

Options

Comments

• Defiant_3
    Defiant_3 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    magyar wrote: »
    Defiant,

I'm finding it impossible to discuss with you. OK, so we got off on the wrong tack, but leaving that aside, you're simply not being rational.

It’s okay I’d be a little peed if someone said they didn’t like subsidising my viewing habits too but that’s life hey
    I don't work for the BBC, but of course cannot prove this. Your posts seem to be more of an ad hominem tirade rather than a structured discussion.

Truth and honesty always hurts the BBC because you only have opinions in it's defense.

Tell me what do you think of the BBC lying in order to obtain search warrants and then the SS (TV Licensing) finding nothing because they were already told by the harassed victims that they didn't watch "live" transmissions?
    You've completely ignored the main point, which is that ITV is not free.

No you're choosing to ignore economics because you're cringing to an edifice with the lack of argument for the BBC TV Licence (like no one else has noticed LOL)

In addition you are not applying any value to being advert-free. Whilst it's hard to value, I personally think that an advertisement-free programme is more valuable than one with adverts in it.

Congratulations this must be the most pathetic argument I’ve heard for the BBC TV Licence yet. Remember people he said he doesn’t work for the BBC :rotfl: "I don't like adverts so £3.5 BILLION (and rising) is great value for ME"
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    No, I'm not making it up - you criticised others for allegedly twisting your words so I would appreciate it if you didn't twist mine.

I compared paying for your electricity by DD with paying for your licence fee by DD. In both cases, you pay in advance for something you haven't yet used.

And I've pointed out that I'm an online customer and don't pay in advance. I get an email asking for a reading and then sometime after I'll get a bill. now lots of people pay this way so are you going to call us all liar's because it doesn't fit in with your defense of the mighty BBC ?
  • magyar
    magyar Posts: 18,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Defiant wrote: »
    And I've pointed out that I'm an online customer and don't pay in advance. I get an email asking for a reading and then sometime after I'll get a bill. now lots of people pay this way so are you going to call us all liar's because it doesn't fit in with your defense of the mighty BBC ?

Where did I call you a liar? :confused:

I asked you not to further twist my words. I pointed out that someone who pays for their television licence via DD is essentially doing the same as someone who pays for their electricity via DD.

If you don't pay for your electricity by DD, then it's not the same thing and I have never contested that it is.
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    Wait a minute !!!!!! is going on here.
    magyar

If it wasn't bad enough we are forced to pay it we now have people from abroad telling us why we should because they get it for FREE via satellite. Now if the BBC went subscription magyar would have to give them money and we can't have that can we magyar :rolleyes:

No wonder he didn't seem to have a clue what he was talkiing about
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    Where did I call you a liar? :confused:

I asked you not to further twist my words. I pointed out that someone who pays for their television licence via DD is essentially doing the same as someone who pays for their electricity via DD.

Twisting words ? Someone said you need to pay in advance for a BBC TV Licence and you said the same was true for Gas/Electric at which point I told you that wasn't true. Now this is here for everyone to see so I suggest you keep quite about the twisting words thing!
    If you don't pay for your electricity by DD, then it's not the same thing and I have never contested that it is.

But I do pay a set amount each month by DD but I've not paid in advance in fact I most likely owe them money :rolleyes:
  • magyar
    Options
    No you're choosing to ignore economics because you're cringing to an edifice with the lack of argument for the BBC TV Licence (like no one else has noticed LOL)

I don't believe I've been shown any economics. :confused: As I said above, if you could demonstrate how ITV manages to magic cash out of thin air, then I'd happily see it.
  • Schwade
    Schwade Posts: 307 Forumite
    Options
    Yes you do have to pay. And, as I maintain - you have to pay for ITV as well.

If someone would demonstrate to me that ITV is free then I would happily look at the figures. For example, what is the overall UK advertising revenue compared with the BBC's licence fee income?

I am not discussing whether ITV is free since it is paid by for advertising generated by many factors (one being a full pass through by Tesco among others). So it is not "FREE".

However, at the end of day, it is your choice to pay milk at Tesco. What you are actually doing is comparing prices between competing products (i.e. milk in Tesco and milk in corner store) to get the lowest price.

Please tell me where I go to compare prices for the BBC? You can't, because to get access to the corner-store or any other supermarket, you need to pay for Tesco(BBC) first. How is that fair?

Everything related to TV (even if unrelated to BBC) still goes through the BBC.

You want to watch ITV, pay BBC.
    You want to watch Freeview, pay BBC.
    You want to watch Sky, pay BBC.
    You want to watch Virgin Media, pay BBC.
    You want to watch foreign channels in UK, pay BBC.
    You want to watch internet TV, pay BBC.

Does the money you pay to the BBC benefit any of these other companies? No. Only the BBC. BBC is effectively locking you in just because you are watching TV.

It's like, you want to read the Evening Standard? Please pay an annual fee to the Times.

And what happens if you don't watch? They still hound you with monthly letters presuming you are in breach (I have experienced this and my friend as well).
  • magyar
    Options
    If it wasn't bad enough we are forced to pay it we now have people from abroad telling us why we should because they get it for FREE via satellite. Now if the BBC went subscription magyar would have to give them money and we can't have that can we magyar :rolleyes:

No wonder he didn't seem to have a clue what he was talkiing about

You have little in the way of manners, do you?

Anyway...

I pay for a TV licence in the UK thank you very much.
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    I don't believe I've been shown any economics. :confused: As I said above, if you could demonstrate how ITV manages to magic cash out of thin air, then I'd happily see it.

Already done it but you chose to ignore it remember. Anyway can you let people know where you get off telling them why the BBC TV Licence is so great when you don't even pay it living in Cyprus :confused:
  • magyar
    Options
    Twisting words ? Someone said you need to pay in advance for a BBC TV Licence and you said the same was true for Gas/Electric at which point I told you that wasn't true. Now this is here for everyone to see so I suggest you keep quite about the twisting words thing!

No, I didn't say that.

My words were
    I don't see this as any different to paying for your electricity or gas by direct debit

At which point you threw a wobbly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills