We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Fuschia help for disasterous gardener please

Options
Lillibet_2
Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
Hi Green fingered money savers

I received the 5 free fuschias from the Thompson & Morgan offer at the weekend, I would ideally like to keep them for a birthday pressie at the end of May. But I am a terrible gardener & my hubby (an ecologist would you believe!) doesn't know the first thing about them!
Are there any idiot proof ways of keeping them alive & healthy for about 7 weeks? I have a (cold) conservatroy & a NW facing garden, no greenhouse. Do I put them into small pots now then plant up in a few weeks (dear Giod tell me no!) or can I put them straight inot the big birthday pots? Do I keep them inside, outside, under plastic bottle cloches??

Any & all advice gratefully received!

Many thanks
Lillibet ;)
Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!

Comments

• Fern_Merkin
    Fern_Merkin Posts: 830 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya!
    I got them also, my pack had lots of detailed instructions and a dvd so I'd check them out:D

I think you could pot them on into decent sized pots but they are harder to look after when it comes to watering. The blurb says keep frost free as new plants are tender. I've put mine into pots 4inch across top and onto bright cool windowsill. Says best drier than wetter but suggest you spend 10 mins reading the instructions or watch the free dvd. :D
  • erewyn
    erewyn Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Hi :)

I also got my fuschia's from there, they do need to be planted in a little pot, they should not be in direct sunlight (dvd and from experience) as they start to wilt/leaves go dry and crispy.. lol

hold them by the leaves when transplanting, its not as bad to hurt the leaf as to damage the stem of the plant..

they seem very resilient,.. as i am a beginner too... they have forgiven me for putting in direct sunlight.. lol

the dvd also talked about pinching out, this means the plant becomes more bushy, which i think for these giant fuschias is prob a must, the flower would be too heavy for just one long stem :)

have fun!
    S
    Sealed Pot Challenge #775!!! :j
  • Fern_Merkin
    Fern_Merkin Posts: 830 Forumite
    Options
    Boo!

When I got home today one of them looks flat n another is droopy speechless-smiley-040.gif

The other 3 seem OK though. Any one else getting this or is it just me? Maybe following the instructions doesn't work after all erewyn confused-smiley-013.gif
  • SKIPPY54
    SKIPPY54 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    I got mine last week, they are really thriving. I have just followed the advice in the parcel .
    I just put them in 3'' pots with potting compost and the fertiliser a teaspoonful for every litre of compost.

have not watched the cd yet saving it for a rainy day
    If you think this has helped make my day and hit the thanks button:beer:
  • erewyn
    erewyn Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Boo!

When I got home today one of them looks flat n another is droopy speechless-smiley-040.gif

The other 3 seem OK though. Any one else getting this or is it just me? Maybe following the instructions doesn't work after all erewyn confused-smiley-013.gif

hmm.. not sure what exactly is wrong, but maybe they r recovering from their move into the pot? is the compost moist? no drafts blowing at them..?

I have mine in a warm/hot conservatory by day, and just leave them there at night, and its quite cold.. I put them on the floor so its shaded in the day, and up on a table at night :)
    Its my first year at really growing things from seed/plug, the chillies that hubby started are really loving the hot sunshine so i keep them on the table all the time :)
    Good Luck!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #775!!! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family