We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

ants...... in my washing machine

Options
KILL_BILL
KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
i was about to use the washiing machine when i noticed a few ants running around on the front of the washing machine.

when i opened the dispenser drawer to put the powder in there - there were a load of ants in there all running around.

i dont know how they got in there or why coz my machine is relatively clean and no food source in there

i stuck the machine on a hot cycle to see if it would get rid of them but it hasnt

so i need to get rid of them but considering they seem to be inthe washing machine rather than outside it could cause problems using normal ants killing powder etc

any suggestions ?

Comments

• Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is the hottest water and the the largest amount of bleach you can manage. You might have to repeat several times, but it's better than ants in your pants.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • kevingattaca
    Options
    While in thailand My Laptop was Destroyed by ant's !?....... They ended up shorting out the IC and Eat the Rubber inside YUCK !?

Don't POUNDLAND sell something like pellets that you can put down ??

Anyway good luck ! LOL
  • Fern_Merkin
    Fern_Merkin Posts: 830 Forumite
    Options
    I've used this, worked well for me:D Not tried this site but this is the stuff. Having a little 'station' to put it into stops pets etc getting to it.:eek:

http://www.sortoutyourgarden.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Insecticides_82.html

Nippon Ant Control System(Reference #PC-018)
    50ML NIPPON ANT KILLER AND 2 REUSABLE BAIT STATIONS.

ELIMINATES ANT NESTS WITHOUT MESS OR TRACE.

IDEAL FOR HOUSEHOLD USE.

THE NIPPON ANT CONTROL SYSTEM HAS BEEN DESIGNED TO DESTROY ANTS INDOORS OR OUTDOORS.

The unique Nippon Ant Killer liquid acts as lethal bait for ants. A few drops squeezed into the 'Bait Station' and placed along their ant run or as near to the nest as possible is the sure way to eliminate troublesome ants without mess or trace.

N.B. Prior to applying Nippon Ant Killer liquid pierce the 4 small indentations on Station base with sharp point to allow ants access to the bait.

Directions for Use

Undo cap and pierce end seal. Clear up other readily available food stuffs. Place a few drops of Nippon into the Nippon Refillable Bait Station or on a flat piece of plastic, glass or metal by the ant run, preferably in the late evening. Change the bait daily until the activity ceases, usually 7 to 10 days. Do not disturb feeding ants which pass Nippon onto the entire colony. Ants are only controlled if Nippon is the main food source.

Bestoluk!:D
  • SKIPPY54
    SKIPPY54 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    KILL_BILL wrote: »
    i was about to use the washiing machine when i noticed a few ants running around on the front of the washing machine.

when i opened the dispenser drawer to put the powder in there - there were a load of ants in there all running around.

i dont know how they got in there or why coz my machine is relatively clean and no food source in there

i stuck the machine on a hot cycle to see if it would get rid of them but it hasnt

so i need to get rid of them but considering they seem to be inthe washing machine rather than outside it could cause problems using normal ants killing powder etc

any suggestions ?

IN THE OLDEN DAYS what was used was BORAX you will probably get it at the chemist and if you wipe your surfaces with it you will not get spiders either
    If you think this has helped make my day and hit the thanks button:beer:
  • pealy
    pealy Posts: 458 Forumite
    Options
    The Nippon stuff is great, killing the ants you can see is poinless, this stuff goes back to the nest and nukes the lot! The gel is fine if you're child and pet free but for safety, the bait stations might be better, if you follow Fern Merkin's link you can get the set for £4.99 and delivery is free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure