PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

landlords table

helloooooooooo

i agreed to rent a flat today and will take down the deposit tomorrow. now its unfurnished. which is what i want. but......... the landlord is leaving the table in the kitchen<the size of a small boat!!> and i dont want it as i have my own furniture, now the letting agents said she will speak to him about it but its always been left in the flat. its for a longterm let and i have my own stuff. am i being unreasonable? and what can i do about it if he says no? am i stuck with the dam thing when ive just brought very expensive new table and chairs?. i don t want any of his stuff in there incase my kids damage it also<any excuse to hold on to my deposit>
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You shouldn't really sign the agreement until it has gone or you get some sort of written agreement that you can get rid of it yourself.

LL's have a habit of agreeing to things and then not doing them.

TBH, I'm sure they'd rather move the table and get a tenant in asap, it's just if you sign, they have less incentive.

At the very least, just get it written down on the contract that it will go, when you're signing.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • robwend
    robwend Posts: 2,919 Forumite
    well im just giving a holding deposit tomorrow thats all. is that ok??and can i insist it goes?? or not really?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Of course you can! It's trivial - a darn sight cheaper than a week's rent for the LL, I bet! I'd rather have a tenant than a table!

Ask that they get rid of it before you sign. And ask to view the place again before you sign to make sure.

Offer to get rid of it yourself if they can't be bothered - then freecycle it.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Not really but as DG has said, I don't expect it to be an issue.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • robwend
    doozer its hugeeeeeeee and a big old oak thingy with 10 chairs!! prob worth a packet!. i can see the damage my kids would do to it!! , i will do what u say. ask for a second view before signing!. your a star
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    its hugeeeeeeee and a big old oak thingy with 10 chairs!!

*wonders if it will actually fit out through the doors, and how many men it would take to carry it*
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    robwend wrote: »
    doozer its hugeeeeeeee and a big old oak thingy with 10 chairs!! prob worth a packet!

Flog it on ebay. That should help pay the rent for a good few months!:D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    I saw one of those Property Ladder programmes where the developer was building a penthouse suite on the top of a building in Brighton. I think it was on again tonight.

The only way to get the furniture into the house was to crane it in, then he completed the building.... so you can't get more furniture in and you can't get anything out ....

Maybe the whole property was built around the big table and the OP will have to take the building apart to remove the table, so the landlord will keep a low profile.

But I am dying to know what size of a table has/needs 10 chairs. It must be the size of my studio flat.

Maybe the OP can leave it, cover it in tarpaulin and sub-let the space.
  • SouthCoast
    SouthCoast Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    penthouse suite on the top of a building in Brighton

I don't think that he ever managed to sell it!
  • robwend
    it really is a stupid size! and yes ive no idea if it comes apart easy or not lol, but ive just spent £600 on a nice new set!!, this thing must take up 10foot. i just dont know what to do with it if he says no it has to stay. it bloody horried!.but he got it in there so must come out. i think the flats been there alot longer than the table, lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport