PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Single persons budget

I am not long out of uni and am finding it difficult to find any information to advise me how much I should ideally be spendin from my monthly wage on everything but mainly my housing. I would love to consider buying my own place or renting on my own but am unsure of what price range i should be looking at.
I wondered if anyone new of any sites/information out there to help with me setting a monthly budget - i.e. ideal percentages of my monthly income to spend in different areas as a single person with no dependants.

Comments

• Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    I would definitely be interested in this, but not the buying part. Be prepared for an onslaught on that little point.

I have been out of uni 3 years almost and still live my parents since moving back home, definitely want to move out ASAP.
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If you are single and living alone in a studio/1-bed place, then as a ball park figure, assume £250/month for basic bills on top of your rent and you'll be safe.

This would cover:
    Council tax, electricity, gas, water, telephone landline rental, broadband, basic mobile line rental, contents insurance, TV License.

Beyond that, you could eat basic foods for £100/month quite easily.

These figures will give you a comfortable but fairly frugal lifestyle.

So: Rent + £250 + £100 ... and everything left over is your money for:
    travel to work, holidays, going out, clothes, things, xmas, birthdays, etc
  • Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    Just coming back to this thread. That's good to get something to at least work with.
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure