PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is changing ownership the way to avoid husbands dept?

Options
Hi, i may be getting my house and mortgage in my name, reason being is that my husband has a debt of £24000 from an old mortgage!! We didn't know of this until recenlty and are now worried about losing our home.

If I do manage to get the house in my name would the courts be able to touch it if he still lives there?

Also don't know if this is an option but have tried to settle this dept with an offer through the CRB but was refused. The CRB said they may be going for the money from our house??

Any advice would be greatly accepted

Comments

• Gorgeous_George
    Options
    For dept read debt ;)

The creditors will only be able to take things that belong to your husband (in full or in part).

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    they may ask about asset deprvation
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LJW wrote: »
    Hi, i may be getting my house and mortgage in my name, reason being is that my husband has a debt of £24000 from an old mortgage!! We didn't know of this until recenlty and are now worried about losing our home.

If I do manage to get the house in my name would the courts be able to touch it if he still lives there?
    You need to be clearer about what is happening. If you both currently own the house but you are trying to put it in your sole name then that could be construed as an attempt to avoid this debt. If you don't yet have a house but are considering buying one then yes you could put it in your name alone but then the mortgage would have to be in your name alone too.
    Further, I would only be "worried about losing our home" if you can't make an arrangement with this old lender that you can't keep.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • LJW_2
    LJW_2 Posts: 354 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, we bought the house in June last year in both our names. My worry is that they will think we have put it in my name to get away with the dept. I am worried that they will put a charge on the house but not sure of the timescales that this takes.

What would be great is if they dept company agree a lower rate which is more achievable to pay, do you think we should offer this?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,962 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If they put a charge on your house, it means they will get the money when you sell.

How long ago was the repossession? Have you acknowledged the debt?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, we bought the house in June last year in both our names.
    Have a listen to the Radio 5 Live Report I posted a day or so ago. You aren't the only person this has happened to. At present lenders must be under pressure to minimise bad debt and their arrears departments will be hard pressed. Your husband's name appearing on a property may have been a flag to them that he may have some money to pay his old debts.
    My worry is that they will think we have put it in my name to get away with the dept.
    Oh yes, I'm certain that if it came to a court hearing their lawyer could suggest that case.
    I am worried that they will put a charge on the house but not sure of the timescales that this takes.
    What would be great is if they dept company agree a lower rate which is more achievable to pay, do you think we should offer this?
    I don't know how the old lender will actually go about this. I don't even know if it's the arrears department that would deal with it, it probably varies from lender to lender and it could have been sold on, though not likely with UK mainstream mortgage lenders. What have they actually asked you for and how have they calculated it? You may do better asking for help on the DebtFreeWannabe section and going to someone like the CAB.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    As silvercar says how old is this debt and when did you last acknowledge it.
  • Richard_Webster
    Richard_Webster Posts: 7,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, we bought the house in June last year in both our names.

So any transfer to your sole name could be looked as an attempt to avoid the debt!
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • LittleTinker
    LittleTinker Posts: 2,841 Forumite
    Options
    It is extremely likely that you will not be able to transfer into your name only and it is extremely likely that a charge will be placed on your property.

You will not lose your home though.....as the charge will be settled when you move. (unless of course your house is about to go into negative equity)

Go see a solicitor.....you can get half hour free from most of them. They will tell you the ins and outs.
  • LJW_2
    LJW_2 Posts: 354 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for the above advice from everybody. In answer to questions above as the CAB have been dealing with this through court I guess that the mortgage company are in time to do this. The court has now given a Money of Judgement for £24000 which is also added interest. I am hoping that the CAB have been effective in some way but not completely sure??

I have booked to see a solicitor next Monday
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport