We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Membrane

Options
FrankieM
FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hi,
I'm justing sorting out my raised beds. I've put them in the ground and getting some soil delivered...I've put black membrane at the bottom to help combat weeds, but I've run out. I don't need a whole roll and I don't, at this point, want to spend money I don't need to spend.

Anyway, I've come across some white stuff that looks like membrane but is softer. I think its called fleece and I think we bought it to put over the vegetable plants. I'm wondering, though, if I could use this instead of the black membrane and whether it would do the same thing..?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• V_Chic_Chick
    V_Chic_Chick Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Options
    Fleece is meant to keep plants protected from frost through the winter. I don't have a lot of experience with it, but I would imagine that it would not be strong enough to suppress more stubborn weeds.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    All this depends on what your weeds are, how deep the beds are and what exactly the 'black membrane' is. Even black membrane wont stop some weeds like bindweed, which will just detour round it, while couch will go through it.

The best black membrane is Phormisol or Mypex used for standing out areas and polytunnel floors in nurseries.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure