low income and council tax help

a friend of mine paid full council tax through her credit card because she did not know she may have been entitled to free council tax help. can she claim this back? i imagine this will not be really possible..? any help appreciated. thanks

Comments

• takoo
    takoo Posts: 260 Forumite
    Hi deals

Suggest your friend goes to a CAB where they offer a benefits advice service.

If your friend lives alone the single person discount is claimable anyway - need to enquire.

Payment by instalments is invariably possible but it may be too late for 2008-09 if CT has already been paid.

Takoo
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If she qualifies for Council Tax benefit, her council should issue a cheque for the overpaid Council Tax as the benefit is awarded as a credit to her CT account, even if she qualifies for partial benefit, they still should refund any credit. This usually takes us about 4 weeks.

Elmer
  • raq
    raq Posts: 1,716 Forumite
    elmer wrote: »
    If she qualifies for Council Tax benefit, her council should issue a cheque for the overpaid Council Tax as the benefit is awarded as a credit to her CT account, even if she qualifies for partial benefit, they still should refund any credit. This usually takes us about 4 weeks.

Elmer

She will have it paid back, mine was through a cheque within 10 days.
    :A Tomorrow's just another day - keep smiling
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    This post really needs more information - did she pay for the previous year, or for the new year?
    Gone ... or have I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport