How do I cash a cheque at Cash Converters?

I need to borrow a bit of money until the weekend and I've got a cheque gaurentee card, so I've been advised that I'd be able to cash a cheque at Cash Converters and then the money would be payable over the course of a week?

How do I do this? Do I write a cheque from my bank to myself or to cash converters or something? I phoned them up and they told me if you're looking for an "advance" they don't do it via cheque, but offer a loan until payday service, which is no good for me as I'm a student and don't have a job.

Just a bit at a loss as to how exactly I do this, obviously I can't phone them up and ask because I presume they wouldn't cash the cheque if they knew my actual situation.

Comments

• hm71_2
    hm71_2 Posts: 1,980
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    we have these organisations round here- cash express etc.. on a £100 cheque they give you £90. you normally have to take in id and your cheque book/card you write a post-dated cheque to the organisation for how ever long you want upto 28 days this affects how much they take from the cheque. best bet if you really want to do it is to look in the yellow pages. other organisations offer a better service to cash convertors- depends where you live.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge £128/£270 balance £142
    £2 saving club £140
  • skyrider007
    skyrider007 Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Surely if you've got a cheque guarantee card then you must have an agreed overdraft. It should be cheaper than using services form cashconverters or moneyshop etc.
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Buy something in a shop with a cheque, then take it back the next day and say that the person you bought it for doesn't want it!

Mind you some shops won't take cheques now.

• JM55_2
    JM55_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Yeah I have an overdraft but I'm at my limit and they won't up it.

I don't mind paying the tenner fee they charge, it's not a problem. All I'm after is some information on how I actually go about doing it, as the woman on the phone seemed to be implying that addressing it to myself wouldn't be an option.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    According to their website, cashconverters only accept 3rd party cheques (and you need to take in 3 forms of ID and agree to your photograph being taken!).

If you do find a way of exceeding your agreed overdraft by cheque guarantee card abuse, the bank will most likely ask for the chequebook and/or debit card back and downgrade your account.

Also, you're probably going to exceed £50 in charges, and from your other thread I seem to remember you only want £50. :eek:
  • JM55_2
    JM55_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Does a 3rd party cheque include me writing one to a friend and getting them to cash it for me?
  • BruceyBonus
    BruceyBonus Posts: 1,142
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you are at University, talk to the funding office. Most unis will loan you some money if you give them a post dated cheque. They won't charge anything for this either.
  • skyrider007
    skyrider007 Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    JM55 wrote: »
    Does a 3rd party cheque include me writing one to a friend and getting them to cash it for me?

yeah, i think a third party cheque is one that is paid to you by a third party (neither from your own account or the cheque casher's).
    Here's how it works
    Bring your third-party a/c payee cheque(s) to us, along with your identification (see below for details).
    We will verify the cheque and check the ID.
    You will then be told how much cash you will receive against the cheque.
    You will also be asked to provide personal details for our cheque cashing database. Once on this database, subsequent transactions take a fraction of the time, since you will only have to provide one document of ID.
    We also require that you have your photograph stored in our database.
    Finally, you sign a declaration on the back of the cheque, and your cash will be presented to you immediately.

from http://www.cashconverters.co.uk/services/3/cheques
  • I handed them a cheque, last thursday, and the lady said that she couldnt give me the money for it straight away, and that i would have to wait 6 days. for it to clear. She said that its because its got the 27th june 2008 on it, and i gave her it on 3rd july 2008. if it was before the date on the cheque then she could of given me the money there and then. or if it had the 3rd july on the cheque she would of cashed it. Im worried now, because they are now saying 7 days. Im not in a hurry to receive the ammount, but there inconsistencey is worrying me. its 810.00..its alot of money. and they are only taking 51.00, which i dont think is alot...can you tell me please what the procdure is for cheques being cash. after the date on the cheque..i forgot to mention that it was a account payee cheque to me.

:confused:
  • Night-owl_6
    Night-owl_6 Posts: 858 Forumite
    cazanna wrote: »
    I handed them a cheque, last thursday, and the lady said that she couldnt give me the money for it straight away, and that i would have to wait 6 days. for it to clear. She said that its because its got the 27th june 2008 on it, and i gave her it on 3rd july 2008. if it was before the date on the cheque then she could of given me the money there and then. or if it had the 3rd july on the cheque she would of cashed it. Im worried now, because they are now saying 7 days. Im not in a hurry to receive the ammount, but there inconsistencey is worrying me. its 810.00..its alot of money. and they are only taking 51.00, which i dont think is alot...can you tell me please what the procdure is for cheques being cash. after the date on the cheque..i forgot to mention that it was a account payee cheque to me.

:confused:

I can see where everyone is coming from who dont have a bank account or dont want one but I cant understand why anyone would pay a cheque through this means and not open a account with a bank to save themselves £100 or more, anyone can get a bank account, the most basic bog standard will take cheques and you can draw on them in 5 days, knowing your money is safe and secure with them and its free.

You could also get a friend to pay a cheque into there account, I know a friend who does it for someone who doesnt want an account.

Get a bank, youll save the ID checks everytime, them taking a lump of your money and having to wait 7 days!
    DELETE ACCOUNT.

NO LONGER WANTED

DELETE ACCOUNT

Due to certain users I no longer wish to use this forum
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business