We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Capital gains on shares

Apologies in advance for my naievity, but i'm wondering about what consequences I face with regards to CGT when I eventually come to sell my shares - quite a way down the line.
At the moment i'm building a portfolio through halifax sharebuilder, the portfolio in total is worth approx. 1000 GBP. (cant find pound sign on my handheld!). The 1000k is predominantly spread between 4 stocks.
The intention is to carry on as I currently have been through drip feeding the portfolio on a monthly basis, over 20 or so years.
Can anyone enlighten me as to the problems I may face when I finally come to cash in my shares, or what I can do to reduce any threat?
Thanks, Bill.

Comments

  • Hi,

    as you're saving through the halifax sharebuilder, why not think about the Stocks and Shares Isa.
  • billy78
    billy78 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Hi,

    Is it possible to transfer between the two, or would I need to set up an S&S Isa and divert some of the funds there instead?

    Bill
  • Hi,

    I am presuming that you don't already have an Isa.

    If so, you have only got until 5th April to use up this tax year's Isa allowance of £7000, the new allowance for next tax year will be £7200. As you are already with Halifax I should think that if you get things started now, you could utilise this year's Isa allowance and then start afresh next tax year. I would call today if you thinking about it as time is running out, having said that, I still have to make my mind up where to put my £7K for this year, always leaving it to the last minute, bit wary just now, with the market being a bit jumpy.
  • taxdoctor
    taxdoctor Posts: 28 Forumite
    Frugal is quite right,

    If you can roll up your shares in an ISA and this will negate any tax issues.

    In answer to your question though if things stayed the same you would be charged on any gain made when your shares are sold.

    The basic calculation in Selling price - Purchase price = Gain

    If you did not sell any other capital items in that particular tax year then you would have your capital gains exemption to put against this gain.

    The annual exemption currently stands at £9200 and rises by a few hundred pounds each tax year. In effect this means you can make a gain (profit) of this amount before paying any tax on the sale.

    Hope that helps.
  • Hugeass304
    Hugeass304 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    There are charges to be considered though when you put them in an ISA. I'm not sure how much the Halifax charge for administering your ISA
  • King_Weasel
    King_Weasel Posts: 4,381 Forumite
    And don't S&S ISAs only take new investments? Meaning you'd have to sell and re-purchase?
    However hard up you are, never accept loans from your friends. Just gifts
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.