BT - 0845 + 0870 - cost at weekend ?

Options
Dagobert
Dagobert Posts: 1,625 Forumite
Hello,
I am on the cheapest BT tariff, formerly BT Together 1.

If I remember correctly, national weekend calls are (or are going to be) free.
  • does this include 0845 and 0870 numbers?
  • will there be a connection charge?

The MSE UK callchacker does not return any results for 0845 + 0870 via at weekend.
Dagobert

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=5357468&postcount=59

The reason the UK Callchecker doesn't return any BT price for weekend 0845/0870 calls is because BT no longer offers a separate weekend rate for such calls - their day/evening rates apply every day of the week.

Such calls are not included in the free weekend calls you now get on BT Together Option 1 - that applies only to UK 01 (excluding 01481 & 01534), 02 and 03 calls of up to an hour each.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    If your on BT Option 1 its now cheaper to call a 0845 number at 2p a minute peak rate (Mon to Fri), then it is to call a geographical number at 4p a minute from the 1/4/08.

Howver subscribing to www.18185.co.uk is a good idea to get cheap peak geographical calls at just 5p per call.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jhp wrote: »
    If your on BT Option 1 its now cheaper to call a 0845 number at 2p a minute peak rate (Mon to Fri), then it is to call a geographical number at 4p a minute from the 1/4/08..

Plus 6p conn charge in both cases.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Speedee
    Speedee Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    derrick wrote: »
    Plus 6p conn charge in both cases.
    Hi, I was wondering if connection charges are universal now, and how long have they been!

Also, how long have 0845 not been 1p a minute in the evenings and at weekends - might explain why my dial-up is so much!

Thanks, Speedee
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Speedee wrote: »
    Hi, I was wondering if connection charges are universal now, and how long have they been!

Also, how long have 0845 not been 1p a minute in the evenings and at weekends - might explain why my dial-up is so much!
    BT has been charging ½p per minute in the evenings since 1-8-07 (see HERE).

However, they abolished the separate weekend rate at the same time - so 2p/½p day/evening rates now apply 7 days a week.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Speedee
    Speedee Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    BT has been charging ½p per minute in the evenings since 1-8-07 (see HERE).

However, they abolished the separate weekend rate at the same time - so 2p/½p day/evening rates now apply 7 days a week.

Thanks for the info, I bet my relatives didn't realise that!!

I had a look at our bill, and I think BT still charge us 0.85p + VAT? as we are still on a business line, until I decide what Dad should do !! I still can't believe there is such a huge list of charges depending on who you are calling - I think I found this list on the BT website some time ago - no wonder people get confused - I think OFCOM should change things - I expect it has come about by increasing competition !!!
    Rant over :mad: :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport