PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well.....put it this way....I am planning to have a special section (entitled Weezl's thread) in my O.S. cookery journal.
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya,

Thanks folks for the nice comments, I was wondering if I was doing a bit of a geeky ramble that only I was getting something out of. I know that's ok to do, and part of the ethos of the site, but I could just ramble on about it to Mr. Weezl instead!

You've asked for it, here's another veggie recipe, with organic costings too!

Guacamole spread for sarnies (a much gentler flavour than the guacamole you have in a jar with fajitas)
    • 3 organic avocados
    • 10ml Aspall Organic White Wine Vinegar (you could use lemon juice instead to add acidity, but the houmous I rotate these sandwiches with is already lemony, so I wanted a little variety!)
    • 1 clove organic garlic, crushed to a paste, pop this in the microwave for a few secs to help it to peel, also takes down the heat of the end product. Use garlic powder for a less 'raw garlic breath' experience for the people you meet!
    • a couple of 'lugs' of sunflower oil
    • generous sprinkle of salt and freshly milled black pepper

Mash all of the above up in a bowl, taste, adjust seasonings. (if too oily, add a splash more vinegar, if too sharp, drizzle in a little more oil) Enjoy spread between HM wholemeal bread.:D

This made 26 sandwiches for me, (for the freezer!) so, done organically works out at 15p per sandwich, or 8p done non-organically. :money:

Costings done from mysupermarket.co.uk using asda prices.

TTFN

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,578 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Weezl, am also reading your thread with interest.

I'm poorly still and didn't have a good night, came down, made a drink and went to the spare bed with a couple of books. One was the Rose Elliot Bean cookbook, I think you would find some interesting recipes there. There's one for continental lentil toad in the hole, sounds lovely!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    oh poor purpleivy! Hope you mend well.

Thanks for that.

I shall google rose elliot now...

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Wow! I added the first meal from each section and came to 47p conclusion (if my maths is correct - which could be debatable). That is CHEAP - even with me mentally multiplying by 2 - to allow for the size of the ceridwen appetite - as I couldnt have just one course for breakfast - I'd be far too hungry - so I have both porridge (with a bit of fruit) and 2 slices toast.

One thing I am wondering is how much difference in costs there would be for people in different parts of the country - as I reckon there is probably substantially different food prices (as well as everything else) depending on which part of the country one lives in. I am guessing that there are 3 price regions in Britain:

Region 1 - London (presumably the dearest)
    Region 2 - other dear to live in parts of the country (if not quite in the London league)
    Region 3 - cheap

I'm in a Region 2 area myself - and find variations even here. When I used to eat fish I could buy it for about half the price less than 20 miles away. I can get much of my sort of food noticeably cheaper 30 miles away and so on.
    Certainly those of us who live in Regions 1 or 2 (and, as in my case, dont have a market here) have drawn the "short straw" on food prices.

Just a thought.

I'm not in London, but we definitely have London prices (but not London incomes unless you work in the financial sector).

Definitely food for thought in this thread (no pun intended :rotfl:)
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I have lentils and sun dried tomatoes in the cupboard shouting - Use Me!
    Tomorrow I shall answer.

Love this.
  • cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ohhh love guacamole so can't wait to try that recipe Weezl. Thanks for that. :D
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to have the Rose Elliot vegetarian baby book when DD was little, it was brill:j :j
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    I used to have the Rose Elliot vegetarian baby book when DD was little, it was brill:j :j

I still have a Rose Elliot vegetarian book..... somewhere :confused::o
    She is good.

But I think a Weezl version might be the order of the day ;):D
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just a quickie thought - "The Complete Vegan Kitchen" by Jannequin Bennett is a book worth borrowing from the library. I've just got my own copy - as, though I'm not vegan, its got lots of interesting-looking recipes in.

From the point of view of this thread - theres quite a large section at the front on nutritional values - which will help in calculating one is getting enough "goodness" from your diet.

Right - now off to write down everything that interests me from this thread before I lose access to MSE totally and cant even read it anymore (well - thats the direction things are going at present - awaiting chance of a computer-literate friend to have a looksee - in case its owt to do with my p.c. skills - lack of).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure