Housin/rent benfit help needed

Options
Hi I was looking for some advice, I am currently claiming JSA have been for 8 weeks now. I am currently living with parents who have told me I need to move out, basically in a week or so time as they cannot afford to keep me as they too are on pensions, council tax rebates and rent help etc.
I have never claimed housing benefit before so where do I start.
I went to see a room in a shared flat yesterday, the landlord wants £270 per month for it and deposit up front. I could also probably find a one bed accom for around £400 p/m. Would I be eligable to have my rent paid and how much is the limit etc.
All help greatly appreciated.
Better to burn out..... than to fade away...

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    If you input your figures into www.entitledto.co.uk, this will give you an idea of how much you may be able to receive.

However, HB and LHA (depending on when you claim, and where you live) are capped, so you would be well advised to get a Pre Tenancy Determination (if claiming HB) before committing to a lease, or alternatively checking the amount of LHA that you are entitled to.

You should also be aware that if you are under 25, the amount that you are entitled to will be very limited.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    about £50. A week for under 25s - classed as "single room rent"
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I was looking for some advice, I am currently claiming JSA have been for 8 weeks now. I am currently living with parents who have told me I need to move out, basically in a week or so time as they cannot afford to keep me as they too are on pensions, council tax rebates and rent help etc.
    I have never claimed housing benefit before so where do I start.
    I went to see a room in a shared flat yesterday, the landlord wants £270 per month for it and deposit up front. I could also probably find a one bed accom for around £400 p/m. Would I be eligable to have my rent paid and how much is the limit etc.
    All help greatly appreciated.

I thanked you by mistake!

Why do your parents have to keep you when you're on JSA?
  • suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    Options
    Local Housing Allowance will be introduced from 7th April so if you've not moved out/claimed by then your HB will be based on this rate.

If you're under 25 you'll only be awarded housing benefit based on the shared room rate. The rate will depend on the area you live. Have a look on your council's website or give them a ring.

If one of your parents receives the care component of DLA then you will be disregarded for their HB and CTB. Same goes for if you're under 25 and in receipt of IS or income based JSA. Perhaps they don't know this.
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    suelees1 wrote: »

If one of your parents receives the care component of DLA then you will be disregarded for their HB and CTB. Same goes for if you're under 25 and in receipt of IS or income based JSA. Perhaps they don't know this.

Perhaps they also don't know that JSA is paid for you to support yourself with?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure