We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

My hostas too big now.

Options
My hostas are due to come up soon again, but I have decided to get rid of them. They are getting too big and they attract too many snails which I cannot keep on top of. I can't even put them in pots as they are too big. Can anyone suggest a plant to replace them - I have roses, primulas, hollyhock, carnations, gladioli, foxgloves and really would like something tall but different, with flowers or evergreen and slow growing.:confused:
Mortgage Free 2016Work Part Time:DHouse Hunting In France 2023

Comments

• alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It depends on the location but if North facing Ferns come to mind. there are many different types to choose from. One other thought is that you could split the Hostas to make them smaller, i do this all the time and give the rest away to friends.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I read somewhere a long time ago that a clove of garlic smashed up and boiled up in a pint of water then and the water then diluted with more water and then watered on hostas will keep slugs at bay.Trouble is I can't remember the ratio of garlic water to water ! Anyone else heard of this and tried it? Did it work ?
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport