I left my dinner in the bank! :(

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
13 replies 1.2K views
competitionscafecompetitionscafe Forumite
4K posts
1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
I went to a book festival event this afternoon and then thought that as I was in town I would treat myself to some nice stuff for dinner tonight and lunch tommorrow, went into M&S and got a pizza (half price) for tonight, and goats cheese, walnut bread, lettuce and baby plum tomatoes for lunch tommorrow. Also had to pay a cheque in at the bank, it was so *&^% hot in there I must have not been thinking straight and when I was fillng in the paying in slip I must have left my bag of M&S goodies on the floor. :( But I didn't realise until I got home and by then the bank was closed. Doh! Has anybody else done anything like this or is it just me! :)
"The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
best of everything; they just make the best
of everything that comes along their way."
-- Author Unknown --

Replies

• Gillby1Gillby1 Forumite
    645 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Oh no - sorry to hear that!

It's definitely not just you, tho! I leave my dinner all over the place. Usually in the fridge at work after going to the market. I once lost it all together - no idea where i'd put it down - probably in one of the many shops i'd been into on my lunch break...
    Debt free date: October 2006 :money:
  • How annoying!!! I don't suppose there's any chance someone may have handed it in? I bet they have a fridge out the back for staff so it may be worth asking
  • competitionscafecompetitionscafe Forumite
    4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad I am not the only one to have unwillingly donated my food shopping! :) I will pop in tommorrow and see if it was handed in but I am not too optimistic, I also got a bottle of wine and boring stuff like mustard, rice, pasta all of which I put in the small backpack I had with me as they were heaviest (and the pizza etc wouldn't fit in the backpack without getting squashed) - so on the bright side at least I still have the wine! :)

Hmm so what can I make for dinner with rice/pasta, mustard and white wine!?
    Probably something quite nice if I had some chicken or pork...is it safe to defrost chicken thighs in the microwave and then cook them?
    -- Author Unknown --
  • mogginsmoggins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least you left yours. I had a whole weeks shopping pinched from the boot of my car once :( I never knew that you could open a Ford Cortina Estate with a bus key before that :(
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • henhoghenhog Forumite
    2.8K posts
    My suggestion would be to go to the chip shop for dinner and drink the wine - you deserve it! Seriously, as far as I am aware you can defrost chicken in the microwave and then cook it, infact, I think that's what the defrost function is designed for.
    As a meal suggestion you could make a variation of Nigella's Sunday night pasta. Just cook the pasta and put garlic and butter in the pasta pan, put it back on the heat until the butter melts, cut the chicken into little bite size bits and cook through, stir in a crumbled chicken stock cube and add cream (if you don't have cream milk is OK) Add some more boiled water to make it more runny. This is yummy and although it doesn't exactly use your ingredients it doesn't take long and I can usually find these ingredients in the fridge / store cupboard.
  • I once left a frozen chicken behind in Iceland :( We could ill afford to lose it and I walked all the way back there in the hope someone handed it back in. They didn't, so someone got a free meal that night! I once dropped a bag of shopping off the pushchair, by the time I doubled back to look for it someone had run off with it :mad: I hope he really enjoyed his pack of economy toilet roll!
  • calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I once when I was about 15/16 years old was given some beef mince by my mum to hold while she was in the bank. As there was a long queue I sat down in a chair and waited.

Got up and left it was not until we got home I realised what I had done. Left it in the bank.

And yes I got a right telling off for it as well :rolleyes:

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • QuackersQuackers Forumite
    10.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I work in a shop and people leave stuff all the time.

Clothes are most popular! We've got about 3 carriers at the moment.

We froze a womens bacon for her once in the staff fridge after she left it and phoned to see if it was still there. She couldn't get back for a few days so we put it in the freezer.

Someone left some cakes once - they were yummy. :D

Oh, and umbrella's :rotfl:

and the odd walking stick - I always wonder how they got home!
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • Alison_BAlison_B Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went to ASDA a couple of weeks ago and did a weeks shop. My son absolutely loves their plate meat pie, so I bought the large family one and baby new potatoes plus a gooey chocolate cake for afters. An elderly couple were in the queue behind me and we were all chatting with the checkout operator. When I came to put tea on later that night, I hunted high and low but couldn't find it. I must have left the bag on the side. I phoned the store up but nothing had been handed in. My only hope is that the elderly couple picked it up and had a little extra in their cupboards for the week.
  • competitionscafecompetitionscafe Forumite
    4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quackers wrote:
    I work in a shop and people leave stuff all the time.

Someone left some cakes once - they were yummy. :D

That's given me a good idea - next time I come across somewhere where the shop staff are really nice and helpful I might leave a wee box of cakes or chocolates 'by mistake' and a little note inside - "for the nice shop staff", -
    sort of a random act of kindness thing. :)

On the other hand maybe not - they might get the wrong idea and think they are poisoned, or that I fancy one of them or something! :(
    -- Author Unknown --