Is Cash King or Plastic Fantastic?

Options
2»

Comments

• Dave2012_2
    Dave2012_2 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    In Martin's tip this week he says:

"HALF OF YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED! I was shocked last week's poll found 38% of you spend on debit cards and 17% on non-cashback credit cards, paid off in full each month. Shame on you! Use a cashback credit card and you earn cash every time you spend. Simply set up a direct debit to pay it off in full"

Has it occurred to you that a lot of people who voted simply cannot get cashback credit cards and have to use rubbish credit and debit cards?

I for one am lumped with a LloydsTSB classic card at 17.9% and an Egg card with a measly £500 limit. I simply do not get accepted for anything else. And I should be "ashamed?"

Dave
  • Haynonnie
    Haynonnie Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    "Has it occurred to you that a lot of people who voted simply cannot get cashback credit cards and have to use rubbish credit and debit cards?"

I agree with you Dave. I would think that a lot of people who visit Martin's site do so because they don't have a lot of money to spend on anything other than bare essentials and/or find they are not accepted when they apply for credit cards.

I have trouble because I have "no fixed abode" (not quite homeless, just a succession of friends' spare rooms and short term tied accommodation with various temporary jobs). Others will have a multitude of reasons for not being able to have a credit card, or maybe they choose not to have one because of the temptation factor!
  • sly_dog_jonah
    Options
    I prefer 0% purchase credits cards, paying the minimum each month and either paying it off in full at the end of the 6/9 months or BTing to a new 0% card.

The gains for keeping the credit card cash reserve in my Cahoot Savings exceed any cashback that could be gained from credit cards.
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    cashback credit card or cash
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    I thought that I might get a cashback credit card because I pay my balance off each month but didn't think that I spent enough money each month to make it worthwhile. Most of my bills are paid by direct debit so how much monthly spending would I need to make on my card to get £50 back each year?
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• henny_penny_2
    Options
    hi I'm off to the USA & NZ & AUZ I was wondering what's the best way to take money over there? Thanks
  • emily_jackson
    emily_jackson Posts: 1,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you've not got the cash don't buy it!
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,212 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    hi I'm off to the USA & NZ & AUZ I was wondering what's the best way to take money over there? Thanks
    In America we always take dollars. Since however you are doing a multi stop tour it might be best to consider the Naitonwide credit card which does not incur some charges. On the Travel Board on this site one of the regulars put up a list of the best way to take money ... not forgetting Martins article

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family