We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Travelling to France - cheapest way?
doshsaving
Posts: 90 Forumite
I've got a family holiday booked 21-28 June. I now need to find the cheapest way to get there, and it's proving difficult. Train is my top option, TGV, but the cheapest ticket I can find is £100 - and that's a student deal (I am a student!) Travelling to Montpellier/Nimes.
Ryanair etc also seem to be pricey; do you think £100 is the cheapest I'll find?
Thank you so much
Ryanair etc also seem to be pricey; do you think £100 is the cheapest I'll find?
Thank you so much
0
Comments
-
It doesn't look a bad deal - I assume it's a return????
Look at Eurolines coaches and see if they go anywhere near where you want to be - they may be another option. You'll need to book all the way from London (or Dover anyway) - you can't use them domestically in France, although there will probably be a change in Paris0 -
swim/walk........+0
-
Split your journey.
Visit the French-language version of the voyages-sncf site and look for special deals (eg Prems) for travel between Paris and Provence. Some of these are absurdly cheap, but if you choose that site's English-language option the best fares will not be offered to you (!!)
Then look at affordable ways of getting to Paris. Eurostar is the obvious, and don't forget to experiment by changing your nationality and seeing what different fares it offers you. Of course, check to see whether it offers any good deals all the way to Provence. And remember that many of the "full-service" airlines offer some extremely affordable flights to Paris: check KLM and Air France separately (they are a single company but each offers its own range of fares); also Swiss; and even BA and BMI.0 -
Voyager2002 wrote: »Split your journey.
Visit the French-language version of the voyages-sncf site and look for special deals (eg Prems) for travel between Paris and Provence. Some of these are absurdly cheap, but if you choose that site's English-language option the best fares will not be offered to you (!!)
Yep, this is true. If you don't speak French, ask in here and we'll see what we can do. The SNCF really is good value - if you're under 25, they'll give you a discount, no card needed (although there's an under-25 discount card that gets you up to 50 or 60 % off!). Remember Saturday mornings (before 12) are 'peak period' on the French railways so will be more expensive.
I've just checked and they'll do you a one-way ticket from Paris to Montpellier for €22 (about £16) in the Prems offer. Not bad, eh? Not so sure about getting to Paris - you could check the Eurostar site. I've found a £40 ticket for the 21st, leaving London just after 11am.
If you're travelling by air, you can EasyJet to Paris Charles De Gaulle (Current price : £26 from Luton), then Air France to Montpellier Airport. Air France do 'under 25' tickets from any airport in France to any other for €55, taxes included (about £38), so this would be well under your £100.
edit - for that matter, you can fly direct to Montpellier Airport from London for £77 on EasyJet.0 -
thank you very much everyone. I'm going to look into the Paris, then SNFC idea - but if the Eurostar is £70 it might not be cheaper? I only have GCSE French unfortunately, which I don't think will get me very far! But thanks again.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards