We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Minicab firm charging 50% on CC
Dalglish
Posts: 194 Forumite
Hi
I recently paid for a return journey for a client using a local London minicab.
As it was a business trip, I paid using my company credit card adn was told there would be a charge for paying by credit card - the operator who booked the cab was vague about this charge but I agreed to pay it.
When I received an invoice from the cab firm (which took 3 attempts by phone and a visit to the local Post Office to pick up the shortfallin postage on their envelope), I discovered a £104 taxi ride was costing £150.
I have challenged the £48 credit card charge and, given the Easter break, am still awaiting a response.
My question is if the cab firm refuse to reduce the credit card charge by refunding to my card, what recourse do i have to recover this? My firm is unlikely to meet this cost so I cannot "write it off".
My impression of minicab firms is one of a shady, ducking and diving operation and I am wary of stirring up trouble with people that know my home address.
Needless to say,I will not be using them again.
Thanks for taking the trouble to read this.
SM
I recently paid for a return journey for a client using a local London minicab.
As it was a business trip, I paid using my company credit card adn was told there would be a charge for paying by credit card - the operator who booked the cab was vague about this charge but I agreed to pay it.
When I received an invoice from the cab firm (which took 3 attempts by phone and a visit to the local Post Office to pick up the shortfallin postage on their envelope), I discovered a £104 taxi ride was costing £150.
I have challenged the £48 credit card charge and, given the Easter break, am still awaiting a response.
My question is if the cab firm refuse to reduce the credit card charge by refunding to my card, what recourse do i have to recover this? My firm is unlikely to meet this cost so I cannot "write it off".
My impression of minicab firms is one of a shady, ducking and diving operation and I am wary of stirring up trouble with people that know my home address.
Needless to say,I will not be using them again.
Thanks for taking the trouble to read this.
SM
0
Comments
-
ring your card issuer and dispute the transactionThe whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.0
-
If you asked about the charge and were not told, then they can hardly claim that a contract had been formed. On that basis, you have a strong case to dispute the charge with your credit card provider.
Of course, if you are afraid to upset the mini-cab people then you have no option but to pay it.0 -
....
First off, you need to find out who governs the rules with regard to minicab companies in the area, someone, often the local council will issue licenses and govern that which they can or cannot do.
Maybe it's this mob http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/modesoftransport/1632.aspx
But for what it's worth, here it's the local council who set mileage charges, waiting time charges, CC charges, etc, etc, right down to cleaning spewings off the back seat charges.
So to the questions......
Do you have a receipt for £104?
Does the bill clearly state that the additional £46 is a Credit Card charge?The MSE Dictionary
Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.0 -
£48 for using your credit card?! Boy they really don't want people to pay by card.
A 5% charge would be reasonable but £48 is taking the Michael.
I would be tempted to give HMRC a call if they want cash that badly.The man without a signature.0 -
Used a taxi near London the other day - 12% CC charge- I paid in cash and got money from an ATM0
-
Please don't feel scared about questioning them - I'm sure you won't have any trouble from them. All companies have to be regulated - call the LPHCA for advice. All companies have to be licenced now - you could always call the Public Carriage Office for advice.
http://www.lphca.co.uk/aboutus.html0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards