We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MPPI or Income Protection - HELP!

Options
Hi, First time on MoneySavingExpert and I'm totally confused.

Having had a recent scare in work with a potential redundancy (now ok I might add), I've decided it's time to review my Mortgage Protection, and having visited this site, I realise I'm paying over the odds for my current MPPI and that it may not be the best option! (£35 p/m for disability/unemployment for £600 plus 25%)

I basically need to cover my mortgage payments of £600 p/m, also all of my bills, feed my animals (of which there are many) in the event of redundancy, accident/sickness (only get 6 weeks sick pay in work).

I would also like to be covered permanently if at some point in the future, I suffer cancer or some other disability.

From what I've read Income Protection with Antinsurance seems appropriate, supported by some other disability/PHI cover, deferred for 12 months.

Would this be the best for me? Also is Antinsurance a reputable secure company?

Thanks...a confused cautious spender!

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was given a stat the other day that showed that in 2006, 85% of all payment protection claims, including ASU/MPPI, were rejected.

I would prioritise PHI over the others. Indeed, a PHI policy with just an unemployment only policy along side it would be best bet.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Cautious_spender
    Options
    That's a worrying statistic, thanks for the advice, I will look into PHI.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure