Appalling service from insurer's preferred garage - what are my rights??

Options
Hi there

About six weeks ago I was involved in a minor prang. My insurance company has an authorised repair centre in my area and booked my car in. It took a week for the centre to pick my car up, and I have been waiting five weeks for my car to be returned.

I've just had the most appalling service from the garage - they've messed me around so many times in terms of when my car will be ready, each time it's got to 'that' day, I've called to check, and my car is still not ready (they keep saying that someone else's car has taken longer than expected and pushed mine back, or they're waiting for more parts...I could accept that the first two times, but I just feel like I'm being fobbed off now).

I am at my wits end. I reported the problem to my insurance company who don't really seem particularly bothered. The manager at the repair centre was apologetic and said they'd do everything in their power to have the car ready in two days and that he'd even deliver it to me of an evening if he had to (I live 45 mins from the repair centre) - just to get the car back to me. I asked whether five weeks was a normal timescale and he confessed it should only be 7-10 days.

I had hope after speaking to the manager, but it all seems to have gone pear shaped as I am now not able to talk to him (he's always unavailable), and the service has gone back to being shoddy.

Do I have any rights? Can I negotiate on with the excess I have to pay directly to the garage? I certainly will not insure with the insurance company again, and will be writing to explain why, but what recourse do I have? If any?

Thanks.

Comments

• suebesue
    suebesue Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Have you got your car back?
    Is it a non fault accident i.e. third party involved who are at fault or are you at fault i.e you hit something not other cars or you another car??
    :T :rotfl: Ha Ha ... I did it.... What can i put ???:rolleyes:
  • suebesue
    Options
    Sorry
    That should have been hitting another car.... apologies
  • FTB83
    FTB83 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was at fault (I was third in a row of traffic, the first car made a very abrupt stop at the top of a hill to make an exit to the right, the car in front of my slammed his breaks on to miss him, I slammed mine on but couldn't stop in time and hit him from behind). It was at a low speed, and caused minor cosmetic damage to both cars.

I am supposedly getting my car back tomorrow morning (it was supposed to be tonight, but another phone call later and my home is too far for them to get it back to me before their working day ends today).

As I was at fault, do I lose any rights?
  • suebesue
    Options
    No chick
    You still have rights (even though you were at fault for hitting the person in front) as your repairs are with the garage that the insurers have identified as 'approved repairers'.
    You refer to your damage as being cosmetic - and to be honest five weeks for such a repair appears a 'little over the top'. You will have to pay your excess to get your car back (if you were not at fault in this accident, you would claim this back off the third party anyway)
    Have you had a courtesy car for the period whilst your car is in repair?
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thankfully we have only ever claimed once and needed to use an ins co approved repairer but going by our experience that was one time too many. They were diabolical. I don't think they really care as they know they have got guaranteed future work from the insurer.
  • FTB83
    FTB83 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks suebesue. I do have a courtesy car (and waited a week after the accident for one to become available), I also completely appreciate not everyone's so lucky - but I just really want my car back now.

I thought about writing a letter to the insurance company and sending a copy to the garage too (i.e. just explaining what's happened and that I don't think it's good enough from an 'approved garage'). Is there anything more I can/should do?
  • suebesue
    Options
    My advice would be to send a strongly worded complaint letter to both the garage and insurance company in question with regard to the delay in repairs, inadequate service, lack of communication, false promises, moving your insurance etc etc
    You still have to (unfortunately) pay the excess cos technically you are at fault for the accident - however if your not SATISFIED WITH A SERVICE you have received you are well within your rights to complain as you see fit.
    You might like to approach another repairers - give them a copy of your estimate or invoice and ask them how long your repairs should have taken - this could back up your complaint a bit.
    And a last bit of advice - you do not have to take your car for repairs to a garage of your insurers choice - you can choose your own
    Take care.
  • losgiganteskid
    Options
    shelly wrote: »
    Thankfully we have only ever claimed once and needed to use an ins co approved repairer but going by our experience that was one time too many. They were diabolical. I don't think they really care as they know they have got guaranteed future work from the insurer.

I would suggest the exact opposite is more accurate.

Insofar that a garage would give their right arm to be on an insurers "approved repairer list" - for obvious reasons. They will always try to avoid any problems or delays with insurance company accident vehicles as too many complaints and they could see their cosy working relationship with the insurer vanish as quickly as it appeared.
  • suebesue
    Options
    This is very true

[SIZE=+2]
    [/SIZE]
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would suggest the exact opposite is more accurate.

Insofar that a garage would give their right arm to be on an insurers "approved repairer list" - for obvious reasons. They will always try to avoid any problems or delays with insurance company accident vehicles as too many complaints and they could see their cosy working relationship with the insurer vanish as quickly as it appeared.

I'm just basing my comments on personal experience. Ours wasn't the only bad service I have heard about from that particular garage.
    When we complained to our insurer they just apologised that we felt we had to complain. Didn't seem that bothered at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure