We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Totally clueless about contents/building insurance help!

Options
We have had a renewal for our home insurance and am considering switching but havent a clue what I am supposed to look for or with who.
We only have buildings insurance at the moment with Tesco so really need to sort out contents insurance. Is it best to buy together or seperately?
Husband has left me in charge of sorting this our and I am clueless!
Thanks in advance
Sam x

Comments

• mintymoneysaver
    Options
    Hi, I'm no expert but I suggest you read Martin's article at the top about insurance. It will tell you who to go through to get the best offers. You do not have to have buildings and contents together ( I don't) as it is often cheaper to get them seperately, but you will sometimes get a discount for buying them together.
    If you use quidco then once you have decided who to go with see if you can get cashback for it from them.
    Post office offered me £25 cashback fot taking out my contents with them, quidco gave me £40 cashback and it was only £93 for the year anyway!
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    scw1 wrote: »
    We have had a renewal for our home insurance and am considering switching but havent a clue what I am supposed to look for or with who.
    We only have buildings insurance at the moment with Tesco so really need to sort out contents insurance. Is it best to buy together or seperately?
    Husband has left me in charge of sorting this our and I am clueless!
    Thanks in advance
    Sam x

I'd suggest using a screenscraper like go compare.com (without space) or confused.com and get a quote for buildings, then go back and get contents then go back and get buildings and contents together and compare all the figures.

Sounds like a lot of time consuming typing but it really doesn't take long.
  • scw1
    scw1 Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks both, didnt know we could get them seperately so thats definitely worth looking at. Have got a few quotes for them together from various companies using the screenscrapers so will go and get some more for buildings and then some for contents and go from there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure