PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

EEEK! My bin has been taken over

Options
BY FLYING THINGS! I can only assume it wasn't entirely empty after collection a fortnight ago, as I've just opened what should be an empty bin to a swarm of little flying things and rubbish still in the bottom of the bin.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Skin is CRAWLING I am NOT GOOD with bugs!

What can I do to get rid of them, doesn't have to be eco-friendly, just VVVV Cheap!

THANK YOU!
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 002 :rotfl:

Comments

• tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    boiling water and bleach will kill anything!
  • fazer6
    fazer6 Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    Pour a kettle of boiling water into it.

Most insects aren't that keen on boiling water.

I moved a container outside and found a massive swarm of flying ants waiting to take off. Regular showers with boiling water cleared the nest out.

Oh and if you bung some bleach or vinager in the bin at the same time and swill it around it'll clean your bin at the same time. Money and time saving.
  • fairylights_2
    Options
    Thank you so much!

I did two full kettles and a big glug from the bleach bottle. They seem to have died.

I knew once fortnightly bin collections was grim! :mad:
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 002 :rotfl:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I knew once fortnightly bin collections was grim! :mad:
    Then you might find this a good read ---> Click Here

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not 100% positive Hester, but I think the stuff you can buy from pet shops to kill unwanted fleas and other beasties also deal with beetles and wooly bears.

It's like a smoke bomb you set off and after 2 hours you can go back into the room and start hoovering. :rotfl:

Edit: Scrap the above.....see here
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check the Insects section of the MEGA Index sticky at the top of the forum listing.

While I'm sure there's no direct reference to your problem there are links to a number of pest control sites which may give you a start.

I know I saw a really good site pointed to by someone recently but I'm sorry to say that I can't find it.

YET

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The thread with the links in I was referring to earlier...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=65487

HTH
  • se999
    se999 Posts: 2,409 Forumite
    Options
    We had problems in one house with them, they only seemed to attack things hanging in our wardrobes, we went to the local hardware shop and they have things you can hang in the wardrobe, they seemed to work.

After that cedar blocks are supposed to be a natural repellent for carpet beetles as well as moths. But to play it safe we kept with the insecticide strips for a long time.

Sorry to hear about your dress, ours went for the clothes with the highest levels of natural fibres too, but in this case in was expensive pure wool jackets & skirts!!
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hester wrote:
    Pheromone traps! Ha ha! They sniff the air and think they're off for some nooky then ... REVENGE! Although I also really like the idea of a smoke bomb, a SAS-style raid, storm in and demolish the b****ds....Not normally a violent person but that dress was my mum's, who is no longer with us, so I really got aereated!

Thanks a lot.

Don't think you need any smoke bombs...I have a mental picture of you in army gear throwing yourself over the sofa, rolling across the living room floor and beating hell out the beasties with a fly swat. :rotfl:
    Herman - MP for all! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport