Dogs, babies and cars!

Options
At the moment, our dog just goes in the back of the car, but isn't strapped in.

When I have my baby, are there any potential problems with the dog still being in the back of the car with the baby or should I look into something else? I have thought about buying one of those harness things for her, but not quite sure how she'd react to not being able to move around so much.

I think bf has said our car can turn its airbags off, so we can have baby in front and dog in back, but not entirely sure.
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I would restrain the dog, if someone rear ends you at speed then she might go flying all over the place and injure someone in the car or herself.

I would get her used to the harness by putting her in it in a stationery car for short amounts of time with treats, after a while increase the time and then start her in it with the car moving. I would also try and not take the dog out in the car without the restraint during this initial training period.

Good luck :)

Sou
  • shelley_crow
    shelley_crow Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Options
    my year old staffy sits on the back seat of our car next to our son who is nearly 3. We got our dog seat belt from poundland and it works brilliantly, he is strapped in and can move to change position but not enough to go anywhere.
  • Sagaris
    Sagaris Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I wouldn't put a rearward facing infant carrier in the front of a car with airbags, switched off or not, the potential is always there for the airbag mechanics to 'connect' and for the airbag to go off in a crash.
    Statistically the safest place for anyone to sit in a car is the centre of the back seat - but then you would put your back under a lot of strain while stretching to get the seat in position - not ideal at any time, and especially not while your ligaments etc are still 'soft' after having a baby.
    I'd put the baby seat behind the front passenger, and the dog (in a harness) behind the driver. I have a harness for my dog, she's only been in the car once without it (her first trip home from Battersea!) and luckily I had my Mum in the car too, she wandered round all over the place, was a real PITA and was sick and drooling the whole time.
    With the harness on she just lays down and goes to sleep now - it only took a couple of journeys, if that, to get her used to it.
    If you don't restrain the dog, the poor thing could get thrown out of the car in a crash, or get thown about inside the car and injure any passengers.
    :j Almost 2 stones gone! :j
    :heart2: RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10 :heart2:
    :p I WILL be tidy, I WILL be tidy! :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills