Are your savings safe? article discussion

Options

Comments

• innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not sure what you are trying to get at with your questions - nothing has changed about the FSCS guarantee in years, and the FSCS guarantee applies to the Coop bank.
  • CE901350
    Options
    Having read a few repotrts about £85K limits on protected bank accounts, does this also apply to stocks and shares NISA'a with a an online investment account such as iii??
    I asked the same question to iii themselves and they were far to vague.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    CE
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    does this also apply to stocks and shares NISA'a with a an online investment account such as iii??

No. The deposits protection scheme only applies to deposits. However, there is an investments protection scheme that exists (detailed on the FSCS website).

Some investment platforms operate a cash account and that particular part will usually fall under the deposits protection scheme, However, certain tax wrappers may not. e.g. pension or onshore/offshore bonds.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello
    I've been wondering what the impact will be for banks such as Natwest if Scotland do vote to leave the Union.

I have not heard anything about Scotland setting up a FSCS esque backing service.

I assume that the UK FSCS would cover people until 2016 or when Scotland officially left, if it ends up happening?

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers
    Matt
  • In_For_A_Penny_2
    Options
    Hello
    I've been wondering what the impact will be for banks such as Natwest if Scotland do vote to leave the Union.

I have not heard anything about Scotland setting up a FSCS esque backing service.

I assume that the UK FSCS would cover people until 2016 or when Scotland officially left, if it ends up happening?

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers
    Matt

There have been a few threads on this recently.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5056143

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5057063

I'd say your assumption is correct. After 2016 is anyones guess.
  • SparklesJD
    Options
    Credit unions are also regulated by the FCA and PRA and, as they are limited to holding £15,000 per person, all your money is covered.

There is no mention of this in the article, could it be added when the article is updated please?
    Worker in, and passionate advocate of, the credit union movement. I don't speak for the sector or for any individual CU. My opinions & experiences are my own.

Search MSE for more info about CUs and find ones that cover your area by searching online for 'find your credit union'.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 September 2014 at 10:49PM
    Options
    SparklesJD wrote: »
    Credit unions are also regulated by the FCA and PRA and, as they are limited to holding £15,000 per person, all your money is covered.

It is news to me that CUs can only hold £15K per person. Have you got any link to the respective regulator page please?

EDITE: FSCS say they pay up to £85K for CUs, just as I expected.
    More about Credit Union Compensation Limits
    The maximum level of compensation for credit union claims is £85,000 per person per firm (for claims against firms declared in default from 31 December 2010).
    http://www.fscs.org.uk/what-we-cover/eligibility-rules/compensation-limits/deposit-limits/
  • murphydavid
    Options
    Hope this is the correct place to post.
    In the event of a Scotland becoming an indipendant country after Thursday I would be greatful if the very useful "Is my bank linked" tool could include a note as to which country owns (registers) each institution.

Just a thought. I presume Martin is English and also this site so that tool would, in the event, treat Scotish banks the same way it does all foriegn owned banks at the moment.
  • SparklesJD
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    It is news to me that CUs can only hold £15K per person. Have you got any link to the respective regulator page please?

EDITE: FSCS say they pay up to £85K for CUs, just as I expected.

http://www.fscs.org.uk/what-we-cover/eligibility-rules/compensation-limits/deposit-limits/

I don't think that the FSCS is concerned with what you could save, more that what you do save is protected up to the limit of the programme.

It's here though - http://fshandbook.info/FS/html/handbook/CREDS/4/2
    Worker in, and passionate advocate of, the credit union movement. I don't speak for the sector or for any individual CU. My opinions & experiences are my own.

Search MSE for more info about CUs and find ones that cover your area by searching online for 'find your credit union'.
  • RaspberryFool
    Options
    The article does not appear to address the question of how much protection is offered to accounts that were opened BEFORE the limit was changed but where the provider went bust AFTER the limit changed. Customers with, for example, fixed rate bonds cannot simply transfer out of their existing provider to ensure that they stay under the limit. If they took out an account with the certainty that £85k would be protected but now find that only £75k is protected, they would feel like they had been robbed by the government if the worse happened. (Makes a change I suppose.)
    RF
    RaspberryFool
    Men are from Mars, Women are from ... Cadburys!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback