Are your savings safe? article discussion

Options

Comments

• altocumulus
    Options
    fwtw, if someone at your bank doesn't know the 100% answer - change banks !!!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am in a similar position, but no-one seems to know about business accounts and whether they are safe.

We do know as its been posted a number of times on this website over the last few days.
    I have spoken to a bank who said that any client a/c you have may be ring-fenced from any disaster, but they werent 100% sure. They also said that any business capital you have possibly does not have the same £35k security - again no 100% certainty

That is the wrong answer.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • anthony7777777
    Options
    Has anything been done to protect savers with fixed term bonds who are over the compensation limit because of the merging of deposits ?
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    fwtw, if someone at your bank doesn't know the 100% answer - change banks !!!

I doubt there is a bank in the world who doesn't employ many people who don't know the answer to a question. The correct test is ... does the bank have an infrastructure that can pass your call quickly and efficiently to a person that does have the necessary information.

Dave.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • nicky555
    Options
    my husband and i both have savings in Turkey with Garanti bank.
    i cannot find them on the fscs list. does this mean if something happens to this bank we are not protected?
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nicky555 wrote: »
    my husband and i both have savings in Turkey with Garanti bank.
    i cannot find them on the fscs list. does this mean if something happens to this bank we are not protected?

I cannot see them on the FSCS listing either, and so I don't think they have any registration in the UK. In fact looking at their website, I cannot find any mention of any protection in the homeland of Turkey.

So, unless I've missed something (and I often do) the Garanti has no Guarantee and you've put your savings into a turkey. And let me be the first to wish you a Merry Xmas. :rolleyes:

Dave.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • nicky555
    Options
    thanks Dave,
    looks like if anything happens we'll be eating chicken for xmas rather than turkey now!
    any (sensible) ideas about where to move the money anyone???
  • nicky555
    Options
    sorry, i should probably say how much for useful tips from people.
    we have 2 seperate accounts
    £10,000.00 in one and approx £16,000.00 in other.
    reason its there- interest rates after tax are 15%.
    any ideas on safe place to move it where we can still get good interest?
    nicky
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    nicky555 wrote: »
    interest rates after tax are 15%.
    any ideas on safe place to move it where we can still get good interest?
    You are unlikely to receive anywhere near that rate in Europe - did you ask yourselves why the interest rate was so much higher than UK/European-based accounts, when depositing?
  • Hi, my apologies if this has already been answered but I couldn't find it through the search engine. Are non resident expats covered by the 35k guarantee too? I spoke to my bank today but they don't seem to have a clue...
    Thanks!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure