What is the average electricity units per day?

Options

Comments

• moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    I think espresso wrote the above!!!!!

Yes, I must confess when I mentioned E7 and storage heaters I forgot about all those people with their pet alligators/Komodo dragon pens, their electrically heated outdoor swimming pools and the searchlight towers ! Wayne Rooney etc ?
  • Fleeting_Glimpse
    Options
    Just got our quarter statement from EDF. We are using nearly 20 units a day and they are going to put my DD up to £100 a month!

I suspect the bigest culprit is the blinking tumble dryer!!

The TV is on all day and in the evening but as far as I know that would only cost around £10 a month run?

We have a 9.8 KW shower used twice a day for about a total time of 4o mins with the wifes hair wash routine..

I have noticed our 6 halogen downlighters make the 'little red light' flash like hell, as does the dishwasher and microwave.

It all adds up!
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Yes, I must confess when I mentioned E7 and storage heaters I forgot about all those people with their pet alligators/Komodo dragon pens, their electrically heated outdoor swimming pools and the searchlight towers ! Wayne Rooney etc ?

Waterbeds!
  • maz1964
    maz1964 Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hiya all

Just found this thread as im looking at moving from british gas dual deal with elec but my question is that this week my elec meter was changed and of course been viewing the number going up

Do have economy 7 but i use my dishwasher on each night and thats it i guess, i didnt realise that my day elec is costing me more so my question is could i save even more money if i change only to one tariff??

Have gas central heating and no tumble dryer , so at night basically dishwasher every night, freezer and 2 fridges i know getting to get rid of one just useful in the summer for cooling the beers when parties are on lol

i try and take all plugs out of sockets too at night

Many thanks for any guidance from you lovely people

Have a fun day

Ciao MAZ:cool:
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 1525

"Knowledge is the Power to get Debt Free":j

Truecall device, stops all the unneccesary phone calls - my sanity has been restored and the peace in the house is truely priceless!:rotfl:
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    maz1964 wrote: »
    so my question is could i save even more money if i change only to one tariff??

Ciao MAZ:cool:

There is no simple answer to that question I am afraid.

It depends on where you live, what company you use, and your electricity consumption.

All you can do is look at old bills and see what your consumption for the day tariff and night tariff.

Then it is a question of arithmetic for each utility company. i.e.

xx kWh at daytime rates + xx kWh at night rates and compare that figure with the total electricity consumption at the company's 'normal rate.
  • manna23
    Options
    i have just been told i am using on average 35 units per day!!?? last quarter i was averaging 17 units a day and was averagin the same 17 units this quarter last year.. can anyone advise me what may be going on!? apart from a new tv in one of the bedrooms and an additional laptop i dont feel like we are doing that much differently!?! they want my direct debit (edf) to go up from £30 a month to £120 a month!!??? hheeelllpp!!
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just wondered what people were using these days, I know people are monitoring more now. I must make more use of the opportuntity to input our figures more often.

These are the figures I can get for now, plan to watch it more closely but have got the average daily use from energy provider

21/1/2011 - 23/6/2011 Gas 23 units per day, electricity 26 units per day
    24/6/2011 - 18/7/2011 Gas 6 units per day, electricity 21 units per day

Brief description - family of 4, 3 bedroom house, someone in/up 6am-2/3am daily due to partners shifts. Gas used for heating and hot water (inc shower)
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Psyche
    Psyche Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have recently moved and now have a 'proper' meter as opposed to the card meter I had previously. EDF also fitted a new meter for some reason and I have been checking my useage, as I live alone and try to be frugal when it comes to bills like this. Over 31 days I have used 103 units. Now going by what others have said this is very low at around 3.3units per day. Considering I don't use anything much during the day it sounded a lot to me! Just small fridge/freezer running on lowest setting and Sky box is always on stand-by. Use washing machine maybe once a week at the most, TV on couple of hours each day, shower is not electric. Hot water is from a combination boiler so no immersion heater. Just have a laptop which is used off battery 50% of the time. Just wonder how I am using any units much at all in a day? No doubt I should be very grateful I am not using 29ish units like some people on here. EDF had sent me an estimated bill for the first 15 days with new meter at 28 units, just under 2 units per day. This is what I am using as a yardstick here. Any comments?? :)
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Psyche wrote: »
    I have recently moved and now have a 'proper' meter as opposed to the card meter I had previously. EDF also fitted a new meter for some reason and I have been checking my useage, as I live alone and try to be frugal when it comes to bills like this. Over 31 days I have used 103 units. Now going by what others have said this is very low at around 3.3units per day. Considering I don't use anything much during the day it sounded a lot to me! Just small fridge/freezer running on lowest setting and Sky box is always on stand-by. Use washing machine maybe once a week at the most, TV on couple of hours each day, shower is not electric. Hot water is from a combination boiler so no immersion heater. Just have a laptop which is used off battery 50% of the time. Just wonder how I am using any units much at all in a day? No doubt I should be very grateful I am not using 29ish units like some people on here. EDF had sent me an estimated bill for the first 15 days with new meter at 28 units, just under 2 units per day. This is what I am using as a yardstick here. Any comments?? :)

3 units per day sounds spot on for your activities. Mine are similar during the summer.
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    edited 23 July 2011 at 12:28PM
    Options
    Psyche wrote: »
    I have recently moved and now have a 'proper' meter as opposed to the card meter I had previously. EDF also fitted a new meter for some reason and I have been checking my useage, as I live alone and try to be frugal when it comes to bills like this. Over 31 days I have used 103 units. Now going by what others have said this is very low at around 3.3units per day.

Well done for checking your usage. I would consider 3.3/day to be very frugal. Perhaps there are other things consuming power such as a TV, clock radio, lights. Older Sky boxes are quite power hungry even on standby. BTW, the boiler consumes electricity when it is burning gas!

You say you have recently moved in. That is the most important time to update estimated bills with customer readings. Easily done on the Edf website or why not register for MyAccount.

Then you can tell the Forum about Edf MyAccount woes!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure