Travelling for day out to London - Is driving part way a cheaper option?

Options
bar_1
bar_1 Posts: 166 Forumite
Hi,

I am travelling to London from Ipswich, Suffolk in May, 2 adults and 2 under 15's. Looks like it's around £30 for 1 alone to London (not sure if that inlcudes underground). Someone a while ago mentioned that there is a good underground station to drive to with parking. You then get the underground into central London from there.

Does anyone know or this or uses a good underground my side of London? Or how to find out?

Thanks

Comments

• harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    bar_1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am travelling to London from Ipswich, Suffolk in May, 2 adults and 2 under 15's. Looks like it's around £30 for 1 alone to London (not sure if that inlcudes underground). Someone a while ago mentioned that there is a good underground station to drive to with parking. You then get the underground into central London from there.

Does anyone know or this or uses a good underground my side of London? Or how to find out?

Thanks

Cockfosters or High Barnet spring to mind. You should investigate if the rail company has any sort of "Groupsave" deal, or even buying and using a Family Railcard whcih may help lower rail costs. Without better info as regards day and time of travel, whether staying as a group in London, how long for etc. I cannot give you any better advise.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Someone a while ago mentioned that there is a good underground station to drive to with parking. You then get the underground into central London from there.

The problem with that is that during the week all the tube station car parks rapidly fill up with commuters. By the time you get there they are full.
    Even on Saturdays they still fill fairly quickly. The other option is street parking, but read all the notices twice !

This lists the car parks.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/tubestationcarparks/default.aspx
  • dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    An off peak travelcard from Ipswich to London is £35.50 - includes the underground, etc. You can buy this on the day

By booking well in advance you can get ticketa at £6 single, underground extra

All per person
  • Cardelia
    Cardelia Posts: 242 Forumite
    Options
    When I lived in Bristol, I used to drive up to Perivale and use the car park there - it was about £1.00 for all day parking and there were always plenty of spaces at the weekend. A friend did something similar but used street parking around Park Royal - again, at weekends, there was plenty of space.

Unfortunately those are the wrong side of London if you're coming from Ipswich, but from memory High Barnet has a good-sized car park and it's very easy to get to from the M25/A1 junction.
  • bar_1
    Options
    Cardelia wrote: »
    When I lived in Bristol, I used to drive up to Perivale and use the car park there - it was about £1.00 for all day parking and there were always plenty of spaces at the weekend. A friend did something similar but used street parking around Park Royal - again, at weekends, there was plenty of space.

Unfortunately those are the wrong side of London if you're coming from Ipswich, but from memory High Barnet has a good-sized car park and it's very easy to get to from the M25/A1 junction.

Thanks for all the advice.

Cardelia - I don't suppose you know what the car park is called, or if it is NCP etc? I wouldn't mind enquiring as to the likeihood of spaces.
  • bicycle_repair_man_2
    Options
    are there any park and rides in london?
  • bar_1
    Options
    Park and ride would be good as long as I don't have to drive through congestion charge zone:eek:
  • Cardelia
    Cardelia Posts: 242 Forumite
    Options
    Cardelia - I don't suppose you know what the car park is called, or if it is NCP etc? I wouldn't mind enquiring as to the likeihood of spaces.
    I don't remember off the top of my head, I haven't used it for a few years now (not since Barnet got promoted into the football league again, however long ago that was...) but I'd imagine details are in the link posted further up in the thread. It was fairly large though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure