Advice Needed on Buying a Used Car

Options
RSAZ
RSAZ Posts: 29 Forumite
Hi
Would be grateful if anyone can help me on this matter.
I went to a car dealer and wanted to buy a car. I left £250 deposit and signed order form (part ex with my car). During the same week financial circumstances changed and I phoned the dealer and said I didn't want the car. The dealer had taxed the car (we agreed on this), had the car serviced and MOT'd. Dealer said I had to have the car because they had done all this work and had sent the V5 document away in my name. I phoned the salesman twice and he never got back to me. Situation never changed during the next week until this morning I got the V5 document in my name through the post. I phoned the dealer and they are still under the impression I want this car, but I don't. Was going to pay pt ex and cash. What rights do I have and do I really have to have this car? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. I looked on-line at citizens advice but no real help. Thanks
Titch :)

Comments

• anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I guess you can walk out but don't expect your deposit back. Post V5 by recorded delivery back to dealer filled in appropriately and leave it up to them to re-register it back to themselves and keep your deposit.
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You don't mention signing the V5 as the new keeper, so send that back to the DVLA.

You also backed out of the deal so wave goodbye to the deposit.

Don't pay the dealer and they can sue you for breach of contract
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Keith wrote: »
    You don't mention signing the V5 as the new keeper, so send that back to the DVLA.

Yes, actually that makes more sense, if they have faked a signaure and you were not given the new owners supplement it seems like a bit of fraud is going on to me.
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    More fool the dealer for sending off the V5 and taxing the car beofre the deal was completed. We wait until we've been paid in full for a car before sending off any V5. As for taxing, if a customer asks us to tax a car, we wait until the day they are collecting the car, then we nip to the PO to get it taxed. That way we never end up in a situation like that.

Anyway, as you havent signed an INVOICE, only an ORDER FORM you are well within your rights to walk away from the deal. If it was the invoice you had signed, the dealer could sue for in the small claims courts. And like wise if it was the invoice signed and the delaer then said he didnt want your PX, you could equally sue him in the small claims courts.

An order form is exactly that. It's the invoice side of it where it gets legal etc...

Anyway, they will be seriving and MOTing the car anyway regardless of who buys it, so all they've messed up with is sending the V5 off in your name - presumably with a fake signature too...
  • RSAZ
    RSAZ Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all who took the time to answer my query.

Some notes.

I don't remember signing an invoice just the order form cos that's all i have a copy of.

I didn't sign the V5 document, so as mentioned they must have forged a signature.

I am phoning the manager of this place on monday, so hope to get everything sorted there, my only problem is I work in a profession that I can't have any court stuff against me. This is where i become afraid they may push me to get this car.

Thanks everyone once again.
    Titch :)
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    Point out to them that you havent signed any invoice. Only an order form.

The law will be on your side.

If someone pulled out of a car they were buying from me, I'd keep their deposit (normally £100).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure