We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Jade plant dropping leaves?

Options
nicki_2
nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
I have a Jade plant which sits on a shelf between my kitchen and livingroom, and all it seems to be doing is dropping its leaves :confused: When I bought it sometime early last year it was twice the size it is now. I have no idea whats wrong with it can someone help me. I can try and give you more information if you ask questions but really I have no idea whats going on with it :o
Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!

Comments

• sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i dont know the plant you are on about, but if it has doubled in size does it need repotting!! as well as feeding.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • beaney50
    beaney50 Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Think Nicki said it had halved in size not doubled! Jade or "money" plants usually thrive on neglect. Perhaps you are watering it too much. If you cut off about 3 cm of some healthy branches and just push them into a small pot they will root easily and at least you will have the chance of another plant. If you haven`t got any healthy branches get in touch & i`ll send you some.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sorry misunderstood thread
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have 2 of these, one on my kitchen window which DH bonsai's. Loves the south facing sun and gets plenty of water..lots of fat leaves. very happy plant.

The other is in a corner of another south facing room. Not as happy.
    It gets less light and not watered as often as the other one as I forget about it!
    The leaves are thin and will drop if I dont leave it to soak in as much water as it can for 12 hours quickly.

Must find somewhere else to put it....feeling guilty now..
  • Jei70
    Jei70 Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, I've heard that a jade plant thrives on neglect - you just have to find the right way to neglect it, I suppose!

When you say it's on a shelf between rooms, I thought of two things: is it bright enough there, and is there possibly a draft? I find my jade plant thrives on a SE facing windowsill (and outside on the patio during the summer); when I kept it in a N-facing room about a meter away from the window, it was not happy at all. And drafts are just not good for plants at all (nor for people, but I presume you don't spend that much time in between.
    Cogito, ergo sum.
  • dragonsoup
    dragonsoup Posts: 511 Forumite
    Options
    You could try chopping it right back. Kill or cure!

I've just "liberated" a very sorry specimen from another office and cut it right back to the main stem. It's already sprouting loads of new growth ( less than 2 weeks later) and it's going to be fine.

They DO thrive on neglect - you need to let it dry out almost completely between watering or it will drop leaves.
  • nicki_2
    Options
    It could be due to the draft as the kitchen can be noticeably colder then the livingroom.

I live in house that runs East-West so no south or north facing windows! Will try finding it somewhere else to live.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    Options
    i have one of these and the leaves are dropping - i thought that it was drying out becuase the compost was dry bso wateretd it but still dropped leaves

apparently plants drop leaves if you over water them despite the fact theat the compost feels dry to touch
  • nicki_2
    Options
    Well I've moved the plant and its no better so can someone tell me what it looks like there is wrong with it? (I only moved it to take the pics! It doesn't usually live on my desk :rotfl: )
    SV400046.jpg

Close up of the worst leaves :
    SV400050.jpg
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The leaves on there look fine..fat and plump how they should do.
    Mine has the odd leaf drop off, so I wouldn't worry.
    Looks a bit leggy I think it will improve if you increase the light, also pinch out the growing tips make them bushup a bit.

Still at work at the moment......(working hard honest! for another 2 hours:rolleyes: ) when I get home will try to post a pic of mine for reassurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport