We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Adding on Winter Sports Cover to exsisting policy

Options
Back in January I purchased annual travel insurance policy with Flexicover via Moneysupermarket after reading the MSE article on Travel Insurance.

At the time I just purchased the standard cover. I now have the opportunity to go on my first ski holiday, which I didn't know I was going to do back in January. I have contacted them to add on Winter Sports cover & they said I am unable to & would need to purchase a brand new policy, has anyone else had the same sort of experiences?
It just amazes me that you are wanting to give them extra money on top of your current policy & they don't want it. I would understand if I it was the other way round, ie I already had ski cover added on & wanted to remove it, that would be tough luck, no refund due. Take Car Insurance for example, you want to change you car details, you just pay the additional premium, they don't ask you to take out a brand new policy. :confused:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• morg_monster
    morg_monster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    The point of companies like flexicover is that the reason they can afford such great premiums is that they don't do anything special... IE they won't insure anyone with certain medical conditions, or over a certain age, because it involves extra work for them. This means they can keep prices really low by offering only a select few types of product; their staff need less training, they spend less on phone calls and letters because everything is standardised. Also apparently they won't make changes to their policies as you've found out, this is annoying but again, it is how they keep their costs down.
    I suggest that you just purchase a single trip winter sports policy, it may well be cheaper than changing the policy anyway.
    on the other hand, are you sure your current policy doesn't include winter sports? I bought an annual flexicover policy this year (worldwide) and it included winter sports as standard?
  • fifth_ave
    fifth_ave Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks morg_monster. The flexicover worldwide policy that I purchased definitely doesn't cover winter sports as standard, it was an optional extra.
  • ajqmarketing
    Options
    My first post, and a grateful one, as I'm off ski-ing at Easter and thought to upgrade my "free" Travel Insurance with Lloyds TSB. They wanted £50.00 to cover my son and I, so I decided to shop around.

MSE recommended Insure and Go who've quoted me £23.47 for a week's ski cover in Europe. My baggage will be covered on the Lloyds TSB policy. Well worth the five minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure