🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Funeral Plans - good idea???

Options
I cant see where or if funeral plans have been covered on here before. My mother is 67 and wants to ensure that, when the time comes, her funeral payments are covered. Are funeral plans a good idea, what should she look for in one and where, and is a funeral plan the best kind of plan for this? She does not have any life cover. Any info gratefully received, many thanks.

Comments

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    Previous thread in Silver Savers forum.

Face the facts on Radio 4 had an item last week about a con-man who was running a funeral palour and private ambulance service who had been pocketing the Insurance Plan premium and not buying the Insurance policy so It may be prudent to deal with an organisation with a long and good reputation.

For anyone on means tested benefits they are a good idea as otherwise the benefit claimant has got to have their funeral money as capital/savings and the threshold level for couples over 60 is only £6,000 so it would be worth a couple with savings over that level to buy funeral plans as this would lower their capital and funeral plans are not counted as realisable capital assets for benefit purposes.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Lisa_H
    Lisa_H Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that so where would I start looking for one for her? Is there a comparison wen site that covers funeral plans?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport