Recommend a Scooter?

Options
I'm considering getting a scooter just to ride to work and back, but I don't know the first thing about them!! Can anyone recommend one for a first time rider?

Comments

• Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gilera Runner 125 or 200, fantastic bikes the 200 would mean you'd need to take your bike licence though.

The Gilera/Piaggio group make some fantastic machines
  • Bob63
    Bob63 Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    Options
    If you are 17 or over then definitely go for a 125, preferably a brand rather than some anonymous Chinese copy. The latter may have problems with parts and service followup. I used to own an Aprilia X9 125 which was a superb machine with huge under-seat storage.

A 125cc scooter should reach 70mph on a flat road, with the wind behind you, but will be a more than capable commuter machine and will be very quick away from the lights - which is desirable as you want to separate yourself from the traffic behind you (and the danger it presents) as quickly as possible. If you are heavy (15st or more) and there are hills on the way to work then be aware that a 125 might struggle and you will slow down significantly maybe as low as 45mph, which puts you in a dangerous situation as you may be slower than the other traffic.

As said by another poster you can get bigger scoots but you will need a licence for that. The Aprilia X9 500 is an amazing machine as are the Suzuki Burgman and large Honda & Yamaha scoots. On any of those you will be capable of fast motorway speeds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure