PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

how to use a sharpening steel??

Options
I've been tempted to buy a new set of knives but have bought a knife sharpening steel instead to sharpen my old knife! Unfortunately, I haven't a clue how to use it. My mum used to have a big block of stone of some sort to use for sharpening so this sharpening steel is new to me - it's like a piece of steel rod.

Could someone please explain to me how to use it?

Thanks!

Comments

• beany
    beany Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    I'll try and explain how to use it, hope this makes sense.

Hold the steel upright in one hand, resting the end of the steel on a work top, chopping board, something solid.
    With your knife in the other hand, put the blade of the knife,end nearest the handle, at about a 45degree angle to the steel. Then just draw the knife back towards yourself. Do this on alterate sides of the blade.
    If you have a nice butcher or fishmonger ask (or watch) them, mine was more than happy to help me.
    Good luck
  • stuart264
    stuart264 Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to be the head of purchasing for the 2 biggest kitchenware importers in the country and spent a lot of time with the experts at the factories who made knives and cutlery.

The best way of sharpening a knife on a steel is to start by throwing the steel away, its too abrasive to sharpen knives. No matter how well or professionally used you start off with a straight edge and over time end up with a serated knife.

Any decent kitchenware shop will have Whetstones for about £10 - £15 which you soak in water for an hour before use and if you cant judge a perfect sharpening angle by eye buy a set of "Guide Rails" clip them on the back of the knife blade and it sets the angle. A good investment as washed and dried after use they will last for years. N.B. its a myth when using a whetstone that you get a better edge if you keep washing the whetstone "dust" off the blade as you sharpen. You leave it on for the best results.

Or buy a sharpening "roller" device that you run the knives through, just make sure its got ceramic rollers rather than steel rollers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport