Where can I get a free copy of my decree absolute?

Options
13»

Comments

• Sommer43
    Sommer43 Posts: 336 Forumite
    Options
    I reverted back to my maiden name. I changed my passport, my driving licence without any problems whatsoever, I had to produce the marriage certificate and the decree absolute. No deed poll was necessary.
  • Pebbles87
    Options
    Sommer43 wrote: »
    I applied to the court for mine. It cost me a fiver. I didn't know the case number and I emailed the court, who sent me the case number and told me to call a number. I had it in less than a week.

How long ago was your divorce? I need a copy of my decree absolute to claim my pension but my divorce was in 1978. Will it be as simple to find? :(
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi - can anyone help me please? My son & DiL separated more than a couple of years ago (her decision) She will never spend any money unecessarily so they went for a DIY divorce - no Solicitors, BUT DS has heard nothing & seems to be very blinkered about it. I said he could ring the CC to find out but he hasn't. I think its also because DS & DiL have 2/3 rented properties & he doesn't want to rock the boat (??) Is there any way I can find out if it has progressed as it seems to me he's in limbo at the moment & I don't want to push him
    Any advice would be welcome (sorry if I've hi-jacked this thread)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Claire71uk
    Options
    In my USA divorce, my ex declared I could not use my married name. I had 30 days to declare I would not, and to change my bills etc .... We married in UK, But when I went to re-marry I found out nothing was filed in the uk by him, so was still technically married...the chief registrar had to see copy of US absolute before I could get married.

Now trying to trace my husbands parents UK divorce and custody documents from before 1982.

Does anyone have any ideas how to gain copies, need to prove my mother-in-law got custody. She died last month and disinherited my hubby.
  • barbarawright
    Options
    I don't know what custody documents are but you get a decree absolute by filling in this form

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/HMCTS/GetLeaflet.do?court_leaflets_id=134
  • weddingdrama
    Options
    Can anyone please help me.Ive lost my divorce papers, because ive been divorced over 20years i have to get in contact with PRFD London.I CANNOT find a correct telephone number.Im getting married abroad and my time is running out for the deadlines..Thankyou...
  • barbarawright
    barbarawright Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need the Central Family Court - https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order
  • Joanthebone
    Options
    I reverted to my maiden name after I divorced, when I got a new passport I believe I just used my birth certificate. Occasionally I have been asked for proof of my 'change of name' and I have said exactly what my solicitor told me, its the name I was born with and I am entitled to use it without any formalities. I have never had to show anyone my absolute. .... not sure where it is!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure