Wooden worktops & draining board...

Options
I'm looking to get a new kitchen (from Ikea) and I really like the solid wood worktops and a belfast type sink.

It recommends using their wood oil stuff to seal the work tops but I'm just wondering how effective it would be on the part of worktop used as a draining board? Would grooves need to be cut into the wood to make a draining board? What is standard with belfast type sinks?:confused:

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

Anna x
Joined SW 24/02/2011 :j71lb/28.5lb
-6, -2.5, -2, -1, -2 -, -2 sow, +3 :o (holiday), -5.5 (*) +0.5, +1, -4, -0.5(*), -3(10%!!) +0.5, -3, -1, -1(2st:j)

Comments

• jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would not use the wood as a draining board, you would regret it in the long run.

Nor would I use the Ikea stuff on their wood worktops even if not being used as a draining board, it is just not that good. (I have tried it.) Best treatment is Danish Oil, gives a lovely water repellant finish. We use it on our beech block tops and have done for 20 years now

Go with the wood, but rather get a good stainless steel sink. If you must have the Belfast sink, get a plastic draining board to protect the tops.
  • jblack_2
    jblack_2 Posts: 1,435 Forumite
    Options
    If it's a ceramic sink you want then I'd go for one of these;

http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/368688

We have put one in our last 2 kitchens.

HTH,

J
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Hi.

If you are over 6 feet tall the Belfast style sink will make your back ache using it. They are deeper than stainless and undermounted. Never again:D

Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ikea have a Butler style sink which is a double, I think you could use one of the sinks for draining as they are quite large.
  • Joannaclaire
    Options
    I've been pondering this as well, as we're hoping to redo our kitchen with wooden work tops.

A friend has a dish drainer on top of a plastic tray on her wooden work top. So that way any water pools in the tray and evaporates, meaning the wooden work top stays dry. Only snag is that it doesn't look as nice, but if you have the time and inclination after the dishes are put away the drainer and tray could also be hidden somewhere?

Another worry is that I'm a messy washer-upper and tend to splash water everywhere... so I do wonder how practical wood would be.
  • jennifernil
    Options
    As long as you wipe up splashes when you are finished it will not be a problem.

Make sure all cut-outs are well sealed and treat the underside of tops before installation or they could bow. Also acclimatise to your home before cutting/fixing as they can shrink.
  • jennifernil
    Options
    adandem wrote: »
    Ikea have a Butler style sink which is a double, I think you could use one of the sinks for draining as they are quite large.

We use one of our SS sinks like that, but we also have a draining board as our SS sink is not as large as the butler ones.

I would worry about damaging a ceramic sink with a pot or similar so would never have one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure