Next doors chimney leaks smoke

Options
Hi,
I wonder if anyone could give me some advice.
I live in an end terrace house.
Next door moved in only recently and have been doing up their house.
They want a real fire and have been repairing their chimney, as it had a few leaks (of smoke). After fixing their side, it is still gushing smoke into my loft.
They have asked if i am willing to pay half to get my loft wall rendered to stop the leak on my side as it's coming in from loads of places.
they say they want it fixed quick too while it's still cold.
I'm not sure where i stand as we share the wall. but it's their chimney spewing smoke into my loft.
i dont have much money for my own DIY let alone fixing other things that i didnt start. plus i'd have to have builders in while i'm at work.
is it fair that i pay half? it would be about £160
i dont want to annoy my neigbours, but i dont want to pay if i dont have to.

Comments

• designermatt_2
    Options
    I would saay it is totally unreasonable for them to ask you to pay half. If they continue get in touch with Environmental Health. You may find you are in a smokeless zone anyway. But if the chimney is leaking smoke then the flu is not fit for use and should be replaced. There are various flu liner systems that can be used to retro fit your neighbours chimney. Use of it in its present state could represent a fire hazard.
  • swebb
    swebb Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Options
    Surely they shouldn't use it full stop at present? There must be some health issues if smoke is coming into your loft... It prevents you from going in there whilst their fire is on for sure.

Anything in your property deeds re that wall and chimney? Anything on the survey? Sounds a bit like who owns the garden hedge and is entitled to cut it back scenario.
  • sygboe
    sygboe Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    i must add.
    they've only been testing it with special smoke bombs to see where the leaks are. not real fires yet.
    my deeds dont mention anything about it other than the fence is shared it think.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    They should get the chimney relined, it isn't your responsibility to pay

Real fire is a waste of fule anyhow hardly any of the fuel burner goes in heat and log burner or multi fuel is much better but expensive in short term
  • lawrie28
    lawrie28 Posts: 2,666 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I'd go with getting them to reline the chimney. If they light a real fire then the heat from it could open up more cracks and leak more smoke. Also if they don't keep the chimney clean, ther is a risk of a chimney fire which could spread more easily if it isn't relined.

I would try to speak to someone at the council, poss building control? t get there opinion. Real fires are nice, but the potential in a row of terraces can be nasty.

I grew up in one and my Dad, an architect, had fire breaks built in the loft. We were in a row of maybe 50 houses, and he could crawl along the loft spaces at least 10 houses in each direction. If a fire started the smoke damage could have affected many houses, possibly even spreading along them.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As it's a terraced house, are you sure that this is their chimney? It's not shared?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure