windows xp service pack 2

Options
have been having problems with my computer lately, looking thru programs and noted that i have win. xp sp2 listed but there is no size next to it. i.e. it does not indicate how many mg it is ?
is this normal, or could it be the cause of my problems,i.e. unable to access sites on which i have to log on?
Nice to save.

Comments

• flang
    flang Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Options
    Could be many reasons, Make sure your virus scanner if upto date and that you have scanned your harddisk with something like spybot search and distroy or Adware
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Options
    Not much feedback from you...
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do what flang advises, you might also wish to go to windows update and check that you have all the latest patches and then set automatic updates on if you havn't already.

The techies will need more detailed info to be able to progress your problem futher.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Chippy_Minton
    Chippy_Minton Posts: 3,339 Forumite
    Options
    have been having problems with my computer lately, looking thru programs and noted that i have win. xp sp2 listed but there is no size next to it. i.e. it does not indicate how many mg it is ?
    is this normal, or could it be the cause of my problems,i.e. unable to access sites on which i have to log on?
    That's normal.

BTW please see reply #24 on http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=78023&page=3 for your other problem.
  • Chuckman
    Chuckman Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    The download size is about 270megs, so I would recommend broadband to get the file in a reasonable time.

As for the update itself, I would recommend going through Windows Update and see what it says before trying Service Pack 2 as it's rather a serious step to take it you're not entirely sure about the state of play.
  • rogerramjet
    rogerramjet Posts: 1,388 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chuckman wrote:
    The download size is about 270megs, so I would recommend broadband to get the file in a reasonable time.

Umm...you can go to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

and order it for free....

or look for a pc mag which has it bundled with their cover disks

full download for network is 266 meg (got in on my system) however, you can chose for windows to check what you need and the download can range from 90mb upwards

Forgot to add...you don't even need to have windows xp or even a computer to order the disk, however, you will need a computer to be able to access their site :)
    Welcome, rogerramjet.
    You last visited: 01-01-1970 at 01:00 AM
  • rogerramjet
    rogerramjet Posts: 1,388 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    or could it be the cause of my problems,i.e. unable to access sites on which i have to log on?

Maybe your security settings are set to high...if you go to tools then to interent options then to security you can change the settings to whatever you want. Personally I dropped everything to low and haven't had a problem as yet and I've been playing on the net since around early 1998
    Welcome, rogerramjet.
    You last visited: 01-01-1970 at 01:00 AM
  • blinky
    blinky Posts: 1,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PC World are giving away free Service Pack 2 CD's.
    Hug provider for depression thread :grouphug:
    "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell.." - Unwell by Matchbox Twenty
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family