Bandwidth Seperator is it possible?

Options
Hi, im movin into a house with my bro soon yet he downloads !!!!!! like a devil. i have shared a connection with him before and found its almost impossible to play games and download things myself. Is there a program out there that can share bandwidth between 2 machines or a router that does it. or is it possible to get an NTL broadband line in the house aswell as BT broadband. any help would be gr8 cheers, tom

Comments

• flang
    flang Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Options
    You can have cable broadband and ADSL broadband together yes.
    There are many programs that allow bandwidth to be capped but the internet must go through a machine like Internet connection sharing (one machine must be on for the other to work)
    I dont think you can cap internet usage using a router but i may be wrong.
  • ceanth
    ceanth Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i think you can cap internet bandwidth through a router, i belive its possible to cap per channel on the router but then your talking about the cisco routers which cost in the hundreds! Look for some kind of 3rd party software
  • blinky
    blinky Posts: 1,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In prinicple it is possible if the router supports QoS, however, this also tends to only be found in more expensive routers.
    Hug provider for depression thread :grouphug:
    "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell.." - Unwell by Matchbox Twenty
  • wolfman
    wolfman Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    Options
    I believe the latest Draytek routers will do bandwidth throttling. I've got a Draytek Vigor 2600 (not the 2600+) and they are brilliant routers packed with a lot of functionality. Unfortunately they carry a price of around £110 (http://www.liquidlan.com/products-draytek-v2600.asp?product=V2600) but in my opinion, if you're going to use it fully, it's well worth the cost.

They get good reviews too, check out the latest pc pro labs tests:
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/131/wireless-routers/products.html
    "Boonowa tweepi, ha, ha."
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I am sure you can do it within XP as I remember being able to disable QoS in XP.
  • blinky
    blinky Posts: 1,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But you need to define the Quality of Service (QoS) parameters which you can't do in Windows.
    Hug provider for depression thread :grouphug:
    "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell.." - Unwell by Matchbox Twenty
  • t0mmy
    t0mmy Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    cheers guys i think il read up on the QoS and think about investing on one of those routers. cheers all!.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure