Car Insurance ~ Social Domestic & Pleasure

Options
Hi! A total newbie! First post but a long time lurker!

I've gone back 8-9 pages to see if my question has been answered before. I have car insurance that includes commuting to my place of work. My question is: If I travel by my own car and attend a course booked by my company, of which they pay me a mileage allowance, am I covered by my insurance? Sometimes I can travel 150 miles there and back. Is it classed as commuting to work? Are insurance companies very rigid in defining one's place of work?

Thank you for your help :D
:whistle: Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "OH CARP, SHE'S UP"! :whistle:

Comments

• Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Officially no - what you're discussing is Business Insurance, and a lot of companies will insist that you either ensure you're covered for business travel on your policy or use a company / hire care instead (my previous employer was very strict and always made my drive a brand new Renault).
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it classed as commuting to work? Are insurance companies very rigid in defining one's place of work?

Yes normally they are.
    They normall specify that it is for commuting to a single permanent place of work, so travelling to a course or client is not included.
    You need to get business cover ASAP.
    This often does not cost very much at all so I would suggest you get it sorted ASAP because if you had an accident you might find you aren't covered.
  • THE-WIFE_3
    THE-WIFE_3 Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you, Badger Lady, for your swift reply.
    :whistle: Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "OH CARP, SHE'S UP"! :whistle:

• THE-WIFE_3
    THE-WIFE_3 Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you too lisyloo.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure