Clutch replacement

Options
Stephen_Leak
Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
I am pretty certain that, after 11 years, nearly 97000 miles and and a year of stop/go driving around the A4174 Bristol Ring Road, the clutch in my faithful and much-loved Mk.2 Mondeo is slipping.

For a while now, the "old girl" just hasn't felt right. Every so often, usually when the engine is pulling, the revs will shoot up by 500 to 1000rpm, with no increase in road speed. Generally, the engine speed seems higher than normal for any given road speed. I know that we are talking Mondeo, but the accelleration isn't what it was.

Whilst I would obviously prefer not having to pay out for a new clutch, this is no longer an available option. Thanks in no small measure to MSE, I am fortunate to have more than enough in the "rainy day" fund. I will probably put it on my 0% purchases card (along with the car insurance), so I won't have to dip into my savings until October, when the 0% period expires.

Firstly, before I start ringing around the local garages, do you have any ideas of the probable cost? As with most cars, it's a pig of a job and on a Mondeo the sub-frame needs to come out.

Secondly, does anyone have any experience of the "Mr Clutch" franchise chain in general, and the Bristol branch in particular?
The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)

Comments

• iNath
    iNath Posts: 382 Forumite
    Options
    Secondly, does anyone have any experience of the "Mr Clutch" franchise chain in general, and the Bristol branch in particular?
    Can't help you with the first bit I'm afraid but I have had some experience with Mr. Clutch.

When I had my Fiat Punto the clutch was continually slipping so we took it to them as they were the cheapest (and even had voucher on their website for more money off!) They replaced it no problem, even if it didn't take a little longer than they said (4pm instead of 1pm)

A few weeks later I had to take it back as it was slipping again, they said it wasn't a problem as it was under warranty and replaced it again blaiming it on a faulty clutch.

Sold the car now but was ok after the 2nd clutch!

So on the whole Mr. Clutch (Northampton branch) were the cheapest and didn't argue when taken back under warranty.

Hope this helps.
  • avantra
    avantra Posts: 1,327 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Changed my clutch on the Rover 3 month ago after 120k on the original.
    Took it to Mr Clutch in Fishpond Bristol and they were fantastic, you even get a 3 years warranty where you have to bring your car for a small free test in the first 6k miles.
    They use LUK clutch kits and I see no issue with this.

They will offer you to change the gear oil while they in: Do it for the sake of your gearbox.

All in all cost was £281 + £20 for the gear oil change which is optional.:T
    Five exclamation marks the sure sign of an insane mind!!!!!

Terry Pratchett.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Mondeos are expensive because the front subframe needs to be dropped to do it and then realigned so it's not just a clutch change involved.

Used to be a good few hundred quid which is why you always found loads of cheap Mondeos with dodgy clutches.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Conor wrote: »
    Mondeos are expensive because the front subframe needs to be dropped to do it and then realigned so it's not just a clutch change involved.

Used to be a good few hundred quid which is why you always found loads of cheap Mondeos with dodgy clutches.

I'm afraid most modern cars are the same, to replace the clutch the bracing or subframe that keeps the monocoque intact has to be removed to access.

100K is about right right for a good car.

Fully working 3rd hand cars suddenly become attractive?:j
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just got an online quote from Mr. Clutch for £353.31. This includes parts (including a concentric slave), labour, VAT and a 2 year or 20,000 mile nationwide warranty.

Obviously, I'll make a few more 'phone calls to meet part 3 of "Martin's Money Mantra".

I know it's going to be pricey, and probably not cost-effective when compared to the monetary value of the car. The car's value to me is what it provides me with: personal mobility, independence, etc. I can't afford a "new" one.

Also, the ex-wife-to-be has been going on about getting all the financial ramifications of our separation sorted, so "investing" a few hundred quid in the existing car might have other advantages! :smiley:
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know it's going to be pricey, and probably not cost-effective when compared to the monetary value of the car. The car's value to me is what it provides me with: personal mobility, independence, etc. I can't afford a "new" one.

If you know everything else is in relatively good order and you have kept it in good condition and got it serviced it will be more cost effective than selling up/scrapping and buying a knackered uncared for one that may need lots more spent on it ;) Spending more on a car than it's worth is part of car ownership. At least it's cheaper than owning a car that cost £3000 and paying the same to get repairs done on that ;)
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What needs realigning on the subframe? I assume it's just the tracking because the front wishbones attach to it.
    Happy chappy
  • northern_munky
    Options
    £353 for a Mondeo clutch is a very good price, don't think you will find cheaper, it's about 5 hours labour even if you know what you are doing.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    What needs realigning on the subframe? I assume it's just the tracking because the front wishbones attach to it.

Probably camber and/or castor too;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • sealady
    sealady Posts: 490 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had my clutch replaced on my Toytota Verso (rather annoyed as it's only done 42 000) miles and it cost £800 thank goodness for maintenance plan!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure