We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Flight Taxes, Charges and Fees
la55zlo
Posts: 7 Forumite
Hi, This is my first post so be gentle. 
I was wondering if anyone could answer why airline taxes, charges and fees are higher if you opt for a one-way ticket rather than a return.
My scenario is that I'd like to return back to a different airport from my original departure airport, and the only way would appear to be two one-way flights. (this decision is due to a limited flight schedule on my preferred days)
I have looked at booking flights online via Flyglobespan to Faro and the per person charges are £15 each per one-way flight (total £30 per person), this is compared against £25 per person for a normal return flight.
This is a difference of £5 per person for what would appear to be the same journey.
Any answers ? ... and are there any regulations governing this?
la55zlo
I was wondering if anyone could answer why airline taxes, charges and fees are higher if you opt for a one-way ticket rather than a return.
My scenario is that I'd like to return back to a different airport from my original departure airport, and the only way would appear to be two one-way flights. (this decision is due to a limited flight schedule on my preferred days)
I have looked at booking flights online via Flyglobespan to Faro and the per person charges are £15 each per one-way flight (total £30 per person), this is compared against £25 per person for a normal return flight.
This is a difference of £5 per person for what would appear to be the same journey.
Any answers ? ... and are there any regulations governing this?
la55zlo
0
Comments
-
Hi la55zlo,
Welcome to MSE.
On the FGS site there should be a breakdown of the fees attached to the ticket. If you can post this, we should be able to tell you what they relate to.
With regard to regulations, they only relate to what must be charged. Anything added on top of that is at the discretion of the airline.Gone ... or have I?0 -
Hi La55lo,
Apologies if i'm missing the point.
Are the one way tickets you are looking at purely the ex-UK ticket, as UK airports levy higher charges than in Portugal. Would that explain the £15 o/w compared to £25 return?0 -
Hi La55lo,
Apologies if i'm missing the point.
Are the one way tickets you are looking at purely the ex-UK ticket, as UK airports levy higher charges than in Portugal. Would that explain the £15 o/w compared to £25 return?
It is £15 buying an ex-Portugal ticket also, I wasn't sure so I had a look (couldn't sleep!) ... xGone ... or have I?0 -
It is £15 buying an ex-Portugal ticket also, I wasn't sure so I had a look (couldn't sleep!) ... x
OK, it bugged me too, so I had a look at an Edinburgh - Faro return, then compared it to 2x one ways for the same days.
Return - Total taxes £25
One ways - Outbound Tax - £15
Inbound Tax - E15
So the return tax is in Euros (about £11 ish) so the actual tax if you book 2x one ways is closer to £26. Any discrepency they will put down to exchange rates. So no real con here!0 -
Ok, folks
Thanks Sam Bee for pointing out the (not so) obvious to me.
The return from Portugal is indeed priced in Euros and not £'s. When I saw the figures I sub-consiously read £'s and the fact that the value is Eur 15 is just coincidental.
Thanks to all, I am now clearly dim, but a lot lot wiser.
Cheers
la55zlo0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards